+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Pool Heater Troubleshooting

Question Gas Pool Heater Troubleshooting

Every summer I have trouble getting my pool heater going. It is a gas heater for my inground pool.

The pilot light is lit, but it won't turn on. I got it to come on once, but never again. It is very sensitive to pressure, dirty filter, ect. So, I have backwashed, and cleaned all the skimmers and pump strainer pump.

Any ideas of what else I can trouble shoot before having someone come out and look at it..?

Default Re: Gas Pool Heater Troubleshooting

What kind of heater do you have?

Most heaters have a pressure adjustment in them to allow for different placements of the heater, and different pump/filter combinations. Mine is a Raypak heater and it has a simple adjustment for pressure, just make sure that if the water from the pump is shut off that the burner on your heater turns off, if it doesn't you wont have a heater anymore!

Hope it helps.

Question Re: Gas Pool Heater Troubleshooting

I have a Tropitone gas heater.

I have played with adjusting the pressure switch, but I am not quite sure how to adjust the pressure switch - I don't really know how to read the markings on it and don't know what they are supposed to be set at. Any suggestions...

If you aren't experienced in working with large gas appliances (pool heaters), you should not be adjusting things to force them to work. Minor cleaning is fine, but troubleshooting and repair should be left to an expert in the field. Having one light and then cause a fire or injury is a very real risk that you face when dealing with these appliances.

Remember, while a pool can be great fun, relaxation, entertainment, etc., we are still mixing people and their environment with water, electricity, and explosive gas. Safety is , and should be, the number one concern, not saving a few (or a lot) of dollars.

Exclamation Re: Gas Pool Heater Troubleshooting

Poolman1: Yes, Safety is always my very first concern. As a pool owner, I believe trying to learn and understand your system and equipment empowers you to have the knoweldge to operate in a safe environment. It is not about saving money. It is about knoweldge. I was asking for information on making the adjustment on the pressure switch, but thanks for the safety tip.

Sounds you have some spiders taking up space as a home in your burner tubes. My dad had the same problem every year and so his pool guy started to take apart a portion of the heater to avoid this problem the next year. I believe he took apart the tubes and then they would not get all clogged with webs and such. Hope that helps.
    17,000 gallon vinyl in ground pool
    Hayward DE2420 Filter
    Hayward 325,000 btu natural gas heater

Is this a millivolt (standing-pilot) or electronic-ignition heater? Did you light it or is it automatic when the heater calls for heat? This is the first information needed to help you with your problem. They each use entirely different systems and the troubleshooting is different. A brand and size would also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman1
    Is this a millivolt (standing-pilot) or electronic-ignition heater? Did you light it or is it automatic when the heater calls for heat? This is the first information needed to help you with your problem. They each use entirely different systems and the troubleshooting is different. A brand and size would also be helpful.
    Thanks for your response. My gas pool heater was installed in 1990. It is a Tropic Isle, millivolt heater. 400,000 BTU.
    Last edited by ellry99; 08-02-2006 at 01:49 AM.

The output of the pilot generaor needs to be checked. It sounds like you may have a weak one. If it has not been replaced in 16 years you have been very fortunate. Your heater operates electrically, just using several hundred thousandths of 1 volt instead of 24 volts. The whole heater should be checked by a reliable service tech to make sure all the safey controls are functioning properly.

+ Reply to Thread