+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Kit Owner - First Test Results - Not Good

Default New Kit Owner - First Test Results - Not Good

I have a newly resurfaced/redone inground pool. I am located in central Florida just east of the Tampa Bay Area. Here are the specifics:

IG 12,500 gal (previously 'marcite' now 'Marquis' finish). I also have a solar system for the pool that is not in use yet and the pool is uncaged with approximately 9 hours of direct sunlight per day. I am filtering my pool in three hour increments twice per day from 6:00 AM to 9:00AM and from 6:00PM to 9:00PM. The reason for the late time is to keep the pool temp under 92F. Pool water is crystal clear. Originally filled with unfiltered county supplied (drinking water). STARITE DE filter (30 sqft) and a 1.5HP STARITE pump. All water lines to/from the pool are 2". I also have a Goldline Aqua Rite clorine generator (Turbo Cell).

Test Results:

FC: 2 ppm
    CC: .5 ppm
    TC: 2.5 ppm

TC (OTO): 2.5 ~ 3 ppm
    PH (OTO): 7.8 ~ 8 ppm (high)
    TA: 145 ppm (high)
    Cal: 530 ppm (high)
    Cya: 40 ppm
    Salt: Aquarite Display = 4000 ppm (high)
    Aquarite Instant = 3700 ppm (high)
    Bens Salt Test: 5000 ppm (very high) I ran the test twice.

As you can see with the exception of the chlorine, everything else is high. I know that the only way to reduce the salt level is to partially drain the pool and refill with fresh H2O. This will also change the remainder of the test results.

However, my major problem right now is that the interior of the pool finish is very very rough. Enough that it causes excess wear on the feet that resulting in bleeding (kids feet, not my wife or I as we don't play as much in the pool). I think that this is caused by the high Calcium level which should be reduced when the pool is partially drained and refilled.

Questions:

How much water do I drain and replace to get the salt level down to the recommended 3200 ppm and which results should I use to calculate the amount? Bens or Aquarite?

How do I get rid of the high calcium levels?

What advice can you provide me to smooth the interior of the pool again, brushing with a steel brush, increace the acid level to re-etch the pool, another method, or a combination of the above?

I am sorry for the long post and appreciate any help that can be provided.

TIA

Steve

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: New Kit Owner - First Test Results - Not Good

Is the pool surface as rough above the waterline as it is underneath?

While your calcium is high, it's not ridiculously high. Many people have succesful operations with Ca in that range. Where the problem (calcification) occurs is if you let the pH run up into the 8's and keep it there for a period of time. Has that been the case?

How old is the finish? Did it used to be smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Is the pool surface as rough above the waterline as it is underneath?

While your calcium is high, it's not ridiculously high. Many people have succesful operations with Ca in that range. Where the problem (calcification) occurs is if you let the pH run up into the 8's and keep it there for a period of time. Has that been the case?

How old is the finish? Did it used to be smooth?
    Thanks for your response.

The pool surface was applied on 19 May 2006. It is rough below the water line. There is no above the waterline as the waterline is level with the center of the new tile that was installed. It was smooth when applied, then there was a large amount of acid added to 'bring out the surface' and was fine before we left on vacation. However, now it is very rough.

The Ph may be the issue as we were on vacation during the first 3 weeks of July and there was no one to monitor the Ph. The Ph was at 7.4 ~ 7.6 when we left but it was at 8+ when we got back so I added acid to lower it back down to the 7.6 level.
    Last edited by Nevets; 07-31-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Bump.

Anything I can do to make the pool surface smooth again?

duraleigh Guest

Yeah, it sorta' sounds like the high pH may have had some effect. It's possible some of the calcium has precipitated onto the walls.

I have little experience with your condition. I think my first call would be to the installer and give them the history. They may have an easy solution. Others here may have some options that I am not aware of.

+ Reply to Thread