+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Panel Recomendation

Default Solar Panel Recomendation

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of solar panels? I can not find any local dealers in Pittsburgh PA area -- so I'll have to order and find a local contractor to install.

I have a 20x40 IG pool (3- 9 feet) vinyl pool with a 2 story directly facing south roof. I have a heat pump - but want to go with solar. I want permenant mount - but I can only get about 6 panels (4x12) on roof. Pool is not open until May. I've been looking at Harting Industry Hi Deluxe sold at http://www.solartrope.com/new/pool2.htm.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

kaybinster Guest

I'm curious why you want to go to the expense of installing a solar system on your roof when you have a fully functioning heat pump? I understand that the only cost to operate the solar system is the pumping costs versus the cost to run the compressor on the heat pump -- BUT. I would suggest you calculate how much it actually costs to run the heat pump for your (may-sept?) season and then compare that against the installed cost of adding the solar system on the roof. When you see how many years it will take to get your money back you may decide to just stick with the heat pump. If you had no source of heat that would be a different story.

For example, if you spend $200 in electricity to run the heat pump and the system on the roof would cost you $1,500 installed it would take over seven years just to break-even assuming zero cost of capital.

Quote Originally Posted by kaybinster
    I'm curious why you want to go to the expense of installing a solar system on your roof when you have a fully functioning heat pump? I understand that the only cost to operate the solar system is the pumping costs versus the cost to run the compressor on the heat pump -- BUT. I would suggest you calculate how much it actually costs to run the heat pump for your (may-sept?) season and then compare that against the installed cost of adding the solar system on the roof. When you see how many years it will take to get your money back you may decide to just stick with the heat pump. If you had no source of heat that would be a different story.

For example, if you spend $200 in electricity to run the heat pump and the system on the roof would cost you $1,500 installed it would take over seven years just to break-even assuming zero cost of capital.
    I know -- I did the math - Solar makes sense for me - Any recommendation appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread