+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heliocol versus FAFCO Solar Panels - Differences???

Default Heliocol versus FAFCO Solar Panels - Differences???

WE have a NE angle at the sun in Orlando and have been told that we need
    115% of 390sf surface area.

We talked to 2 salesman. One representing Heliocol and the other representing Fafco brands. Of course, both say their product is best.

Would love to hear any opinions and experiences on these 2 brands and their effectiveness plus how you liked the installation method. Both appear to be different.

Thanks in advance.

WBell
    Orlando, FL

Default Re: Heliocol versus FAFCO Solar Panels - Differences???

I have no experience with Heliocol, but I installed my own FAFCO panels. My pool is 450 SF and I installed 240 SF of panels, 6 4X10's. I live in San Diego,CA and the panels are mounted on the garage roof and oriented toward the South East. The entire system cost me around $1000.00, including panels, pipes, sensor and valve.

I run the solar off the filter pump with a Jandy automatic valve controlled by my RS-8 controller. I normally run the filter pump for 5 hours per day, during the warmest times, from 9:00AM to 2:00PM. Because of the orientation, I loose the sun after 2:00PM. A sensor on the roof tells the RS-8 to open the solar valve, which circulates water.

I purchased the panels off the web and they came rolled up in boxes. It took a few days of warm weather to unroll them, being plasitc. My roof is concrete tile and I first layed down some thin foam to act as a cushion, then placed each panel over the foam. I used the nylon straps provided and drilled holes through the tile and achored each panel using lag type screws into the plywood sheeting. I caulked the hell out of each and every hole, hoping to avoid any leaks. I used the standard confiuration with all 6 panels in parallel and pump the cool water into the bottom manifold and the warm from the top.

I've only had the solar working for about one month, so I do not have any summer time data for you, but so far they seem to work well. Right now, the normal sunny day time temperature is between 68 and 75 and the night time temperature is beween 45 - 50. Over the course of a few sunny days, I get about a 10 degree temperaure rise in the pool, from 60 to 70 degrees. I also have a spa that overflows into the pool, so recently I decided to run the pool/spa combo for 3 hours and spa only for the other two, hoping to send solar heart into the spa. The has also worked well, and over the course of a few sunny days, my pool warms to around 70 and the spa bewteen 85 - 90. By the way, I do not have covers on either the pool or the spa, but I'm considering a spa cover. I expect that when it really gets warm this summer, the solar will provide all the heat I need in the pool and most of the heat to the spa. If I'm wrong, I have room on the roof to add two more panels.

I have no complaints with the FAFCO panels. They were relatively easy to install (but people tell me I'm can install thinks other can't) and they seem to work fine.

Al

Both will do the job of heating the water. Two of the major differences: 1.) FAFCO panels need to have hold-down straps across the whole array. That means more penetrations throught the roof. Heliocol does not need these on most installations. 2.) FAFCO panels (as do most all other brands) use reinforced rubber tubes with hose clamps to connect the panels. Heliocol uses an "O" ring and clamp design. The FAFCO panels need to have the hose clamps tightened regularly, usually every other year or so. This always results in the headers being deformed (crushed) over time, leaking at the header, and having to be replaced.

Thanks to both of you.

Do to Hurricaine Charley on 08-04 we got a new roof, so the less holes in the roof the better.

I need to get more price quotes on the Heliocol brand. First quote was $5,200.00 for 9 panels. That seems high.

W. Bell
    Orlando, FL

Not an issue in Orlando, but it's almost impossible to get Heliocol here in the Northeast. I was only able to get one quote from a builder recommended by the manufacturer, and he had only installed one or 2 systems. We were able to find a number of installers that use Fafco.

Is the 5200 installed? If so, it doesn't seem out of line, especially for the Heliocol, which seem to be a bit more expensive. We paid about 5200 for 8 4x14 panels installed last year.

+ Reply to Thread