+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to clean the waterline?

Default What do you use to clean the waterline?

What do you use to clean the waterline? (maybe I'll learn how to type)

HI All,
    I have a vinyl IG pool with fiberglass stairs and spa (both are white). I usually bought vinyl cleaner from the pool store to clean the brown waterline that develops over time. I'm wondering if there is anything better and/or cheaper that will do the job.

Thanks,
    Joe

EDIT by Watermom -- Joe, I fixed the spelling in your title for you.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-30-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: What do you use to clean the waterline?

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works very well. Not much scrubbing and it really cleans up my stairs and buddy seats.

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

Ditto on the Magic Eraser...works great!
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

I went to the store with the intention of buying the Magic Eraser for the same purpose - but I noticed the package said not to use it with chlorine bleach. Several people on the forum have used the Magic Eraser on their pools with great results, but I was still a bit concerned about why that was included on the package. Does anyone have any more info? Thanks.

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

I think it's because chlorine will break the eraser down faster....I don't think there is any harm to the pool. I figure if it takes 2 of them to clean my pool, then it's worth it if I have to throw them out after. It's cheaper and takes a lot less elbow grease then trying to scrub the waterline with some kind of cleaner.
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

It is probably ammonia based, and you never want to mix ammonia with chlorine - BUT and this is a big but, pool water is not chlorine. You would not want to use it with bleach, but the level in pool water is so low that it is not significantly different from drinking water which is what you use the thing with. It works great, just use it.

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Several people on this board have tap water that has 3 PPM chlorine readings, so if it's safe to use with tap water (and you're SUPPOSED to wet them), then they should be perfectly safe to use in a properly maintained pool. Bleach cleaners have a MUCH higher concentration of chlorine in them.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

I recall about 6 months ago an article by someone like Consumer's Reports that talked about the Magic Eraser. The magic in it is a micro-abrasive compound that they bonded to the sponge like carrier. They said it does work. But they also said that the bonding agent used to keep it all together was real bad stuff.
    Sorry I can't find the article to get the details more accurately, but after discovering how well it worked, then hearing this news, I trashed the rest of them. Sort of like the Teflon deal except the bad stuff got revealed within months of the marketing launch. Despite this, I think they're selling tons of it.

I will certainly never put it in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by brent.roberts
    I recall about 6 months ago an article by someone like Consumer's Reports that talked about the Magic Eraser. The magic in it is a micro-abrasive compound that they bonded to the sponge like carrier. They said it does work. But they also said that the bonding agent used to keep it all together was real bad stuff.
    Sorry I can't find the article to get the details more accurately, but after discovering how well it worked, then hearing this news, I trashed the rest of them. Sort of like the Teflon deal except the bad stuff got revealed within months of the marketing launch. Despite this, I think they're selling tons of it.

I will certainly never put it in the pool.
    If its consumers reports then I believe it less than if it was in the new york times, and we all know not to believe them. I think it was consumers reports that says a Prius Hybrid only gets 35 miles per gallon - but I have two and know they both get about 50 mpg. Magic eraser is a great product. And it has been around for a few years, not months.

I found this information on the Mr. Clean website...perhaps this was the issue indicated in the consumer rpts article...
    http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...th/index.shtml
    Thanks for all the replies!

+ Reply to Thread