+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opened early

Question Opened early

Here in cleveland we just had our first 70 degree day. I'm looking to replace the broken heater (been broken much longer than I've had the pool) so I thought I'd pull the cover off and start working my water.

Pool was very dirty, with green algae. 4 dead chipmunks, too.

I put in 6 gal of bleach 2 days ago to start, just to try to start killing the nasty stuff.

25,000 Gal inground vinyl pool. Used only bleach last year.
    Temp: VERY cold.
    FC: 0
    CC: .5
    Alk: 110
    CYA: 0
    Ph: 7.2

I "shocked" with 8 gals of 5.25% bleach after taking measurements. Should I get some polyquat? I scrubbed the pool and the dirt and whatever algae there was came up very easily, I got the pump turned on and the filter is now on for the summer.

Do I need polyquat? I had NO algae at all last year (my first with a pool), so I'm not 100% sure what to do. I assume that my next step is to raise the CYA, but should I do that first, or algaecide? Or should I just put in some borax (I like to keep my pool 7.8 or so) and avoid the algaecide?

I have tomorrow off, so that's my day to do whatever work I need to do on the pool!

(Questions about heater will be asked in a different thread)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Getting started

Polyquat algaecide is a better preventative than cure. I would say skip it and just keep hammering it with bleach. I also wouldn't worry about cya until you kill the algae. Test your water 3x a day and each time shock it back up to around 8ppm. The key to killing algae is to maintain the high cl level and not let it yo-yo up and down. I also would not raise your ph right now. Chlorine is most effective at fighting algae when the ph is a little low. As long as you are above 7.0, I would leave ph alone. After you get the pool cleared, then you can add some Borax and raise it a little. Hope this helps.

Watermom

Smile Thanks!

That helps a lot! 8ppm bleach, testing as often as possible. got it.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not in as bad shape as I thought - I just saw Watermom's picture. As much as the bottom of the pool was covered with dirt and algae, the water was clear - I could see the bottom. I guess that means it's in good shape. ????

(I have a mesh cover, so there was a lot of dirt last year, too).
    Last edited by jbalcorn; 04-13-2006 at 09:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread