CC 0
    TC 8.5
    pH 7.2
    Alk 200
    CAL 220
    Cya 30
    temp 85

15000 IG gunite
    run pump & gas heater 10 hrs/day (I'm in Seattle, and jumping in full press and then will decide if I want to back off on the costs)
    Covered - 90% of the time (aquamatic - has screen at the end)
    rainbow lifegard chorine feeder - I'm using up the 3 inch tabs from previous owner - I really really like the idea of using a feeder, but the first time I filled it up - to the top- the chlorine was maxed out on the test strip (all I had at the time) and there was a powerful smell, so I turned to valve to the lowest setting it was weeks before it got down to 3-5. I put the last load in last week, maybe 6 or 7 tabs, and it's as you see now.
    I'm new, so I don't have access to the members section yet, or have my test kit booklet, so I'm trying to read everything available, any advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks!

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: First test results with PS234

Jules, you're in pretty good shape...I assume your water looks great. Post back if not.

With a CYA of 30 the Tabs are okay for now, but the CYA will get too high if you use them next year. Caly Hypo is not a great choice for you either because your calcium level is fine but doesn't need to go too much higher. A good chlorinating strategy might be to use bleach as your primary source and use pucks when you are away from the pool for a few days.

I assume you're letting your Cl level drift down into a 3-6ppm range.

Now, your one issue is your Alk is a little high.....80-120 is better. Read up on the Alk forum on how to get it down and go from there.

All in all, good numbers (work on the Alk a little). Happy Swimming!

Thanks Dave. The water does look great by the way.
    I was going to ask about the box of shock I have (Bioguard Burn Out) but I looked at it and its that Caly Hypo you said was not a good choice. The pool store (who built the pool) suggested 1 per week and 2 after a big party. I've not done it for several weeks. Is this shock an alternative to adding chlorine? I get confused reading about shock and what is really does. Especially the Best Guess table - it has min FC, max FC and shock FC.

opps. Forgot to ask about the Alk lowering instructions. I have the turbo clean system that shoots the filtered water thru these popup cleaning heads in the bottom of the pool and in the steps. Probably not what they mean by aerating, because it is just shooting water, not water and air. So what does Ben mean by a spa jet in the steps?

duraleigh Guest

Jules,

Think of "shock" as a verb...not a noun. You shock your pool by raising your chlorine to a high level (breakpoint) where a beneficial reaction occurs....getting rid of some junk in your water.

So, you can shock with anything that adds chlorine to your pool (sort of). Cal Hypo is a product that will add Chlorine and Calcium to your pool...it is frequently used for shocking because it has a high percentage of chlorine that it releases quickly. You can shock with bleach as well. Keep reading in the forum and you'll soon gain a better understanding of shocking and proper Cl levels.

Adding that "burnout" package won't harm your pool on a one-time basis. It's the extended use of Cal Hypo over a long period of time that will cause your Calcium level to become a problem. Based on your test results and your water clarity, there is no reason to shock your pool now or, perhaps, for the rest of the Summer. Normally, a visible water problem or when your CC test results are 1.0 or greater is indicative of the need to shock....you have neither and were smart not to shock.

Ben's best guess table is a guide for you to maintain you Cl ppm based on your CYA level. Since your CYA is currently 30, Ben suggests you keep your Cl between 3-6 ppm. If you ever need to shock, the table tells you that your Cl needs to be raised to 15ppm for shocking to occur.

To lower Alk, you must somehow somehow devise something to get bubbles in your water (aerate). If you can divert one of your returns so splashing occurs, that'll do it. 20 kids jumping in for 6 hours will do it as will a fountain running constantly in the middle of your pool. Reread that section carefully before you start or you will have poor results. There's no emergency in your current Alk result. Take your time and understand it and develop a strategy for how you intend to accomplish it.

+ Reply to Thread