+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Testing Bleach Strength: 1.88ml in 5 gallons of Water

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Testing Bleach Strength: 1.88ml in 5 gallons of Water

Since high strength liquid chlorine is rather unstable, and I just bought a carboy of 12.5% yesterday, I wanted to see if it was truly 12.5%

We know, from the Bleach Calculation formula, that 1 gallon of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine will add 12.5ppm of FC to clean water (ie, with nothing to metabolize).

1 gallon contains 128 fluid ounces and one centiliter (10 ml) equals .34 fluid ounces.

Therefore, if you add 1 ounce of 12.5% to 78 1/8 gallons of water, you should get the same 12.5FC reading.

0.34 time 78.125 gives you 26.56 gallons. Therefore 10ml of 12.5% liquid chlorine should get the same 12.5FC reading in 26.56 gallons.

Divided by 5 and 2ml of liquid chlorine should get the same reading from 5.3125 gallons.

Adjust down for 5 gallons exactly, and 1.88ml of Liquid Chlorine should keep that reading.

So, if you pour 1.88ml of bleach/liquid shock/liquid chlorine into 5 gallons of fresh water, you should get the same FC reading as if you dump 1 gallon into 10,000 gallons of water.

On Ben's PS-232 kit, the OTO/pH cell has a side marked to 1.8ml. I used that to check my work. It wasn't as precise as I would have liked because I goofed and added the 1.8 and a little to 5 gallons of pool water

I got a reading of 19.5 FC. Then I tested the pool water and got 5.5, indicating that my 12.5% was 14%--I AM dubious that it's stronger, but at least it tells me the 12.5% hasn't started to degrade. I'm recycling a lot of bleach jugs...Filling them halfway with tap water, then the rest of the way with 12.5%--it should give me gallons of 6% that I hope is more stable.

I would VERY much appreciate somebody checking my math and my assumptions.

Thanks!
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Testing Bleach Strength: 1.88ml in 5 gallons of Water

Using ratios:

1 / 10000 = x / 5

x = 5/10000 gallons, .064 ounces, 1.88 ml

You got it right.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks Carl! I'll be trying this out to see how my chlorine is

can't wait...

I just found a new place to buy chlorine from. They fill the chlorine in a black 5.5gallon container. They mentioned that the have their chlorine tested often...and that it comes in at 17%, but they will never let it drop below 12%. So it wouldn't surprise me that yours is also above 12%.

I think I may test my chlorine every month...just to see what I'm dealing with and how fast(or slow) it does lose it's concentration.

take care,
    dan

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I got a reading of 19.5 FC. Then I tested the pool water and got 5.5, indicating that my 12.5% was 14%--I AM dubious that it's stronger, but at least it tells me the 12.5% hasn't started to degrade.

Thanks!
    Carl, we have 2 huge tanks of chlorine where I work that get filled weekly to every 10 days...I asked about the strength and they (the company we get it from) told me it is 17-18% when they deliver it so it will be at least 12.5% when we sell it. We sell a LOT of liquid chlorine so I think the stuff we sell is at least 14% when it is sold! We sell a 2.5 gal refill for $3.69. The jugs are under $6 if someone doen't have one for refill so I think we are the best bargain where I live for chlorine.
    IF you are really interested in checking the strength Aquachek makes a high range chlorine level test strip that will test up to 60 ppm
    http://www.aquachek.com/products.asp?n=1&l=1
    and Taylor makes test kits for testing bleach strength
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...D=2&KitID=2190
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...D=2&KitID=2191
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

We sell a 2.5 gal refill for $3.69.
    DANG!!!!, Evan! I wish you could ship that to me!!! I paid $17 for 5 gallons--that's about what you pay up here. So it might WELL have been the 14% I measured.

Vedddddy Interesting!

I realized if you add 1 ml to 10 liters (as in refilling a 2 liter Coke bottle 5 times) you'll get the same results, too. Just keep it all metric--and it will be easier.

BTW, I recently discovered that they sell spigots for the carboys. What a difference they make! Worth every nickel!
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

See, there ARE some decent pool stores! (we are an Ace Hardware with a huge pool department! We even sell above ground poolsl....Real ones by Cantar and Zodiac!) (and if ANYONE refers to me as the 'Helpful Hardware Man' they will be very sorry!)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    and if ANYONE refers to me as the 'Helpful Hardware Man' they will be very sorry!
    Not if you can't ship me chlorine at that great price!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread