+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AG Pool Audio System.

Default AG Pool Audio System.

Can some of you good folks out there give me some ideas on what to do for a AG pool stereo system? We use a radio, but it is by the house about 25 foot away and that's to far. We have an electric outlet at the pool. Any ideas would be great. Help me wake the neighbors.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: AG Pool Audio System.

Why not a boom box? You HAVE power out there. But if you want a permanent system, then you'll need outdoor speakers.

You can get everything from cheapies at $50/pair on up to TechNomads for $750 a side--or even more! There's nothing better--cruise ships and the New York Shakespeare Festival's Shakespeare in The Park use Technomads for their outdoor audio.

Boston Acoustics, Niles and others make excellent outdoor speakers (I'm partial to Bostons, but don't like their electronics). Pricing is about what good indoor speakers cost.

I think Bose is terribly overpriced for the quality of the speakers and their sound.

You'll have to run waterproof boxes and underground conduit back to your house, but it doesn't have to be code for speaker wire--I'm assuming you want to keep the equipment inside.

Very little electronics is designed to live outdoors, thus the running of speaker wire back to the house. Some is water and humidity resistant, but that's going to be lousy or expensive.

Or you can find the biggest, loudest boom-box, the kind with removable speakers and just plug that in, and drag it inside when it rains.
    Carl

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I think there was another thread here in the old forum on wireless outdoor speakers? Depending on what you want to spend, you can get some decent ones that will go up to 100' from the indoor stereo system. I checked out some that started around $49 or something at Amazon. We had a solar/wind up radio out there for a while - wireless
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I had never really thought about running speakers out to the pool and leaving everything else inside. That sounds like a great idea. I have conduit running out to the pool so that wouldn't be a problem.

We use the Logitech mm50 speaker system with an iPod. It contains a rechargable battery and can simultaneously recharge the iPod and the mm50 when plugged in. Sound quality is very good and the unit is very light so it's not a chore to set it outside during the day and bring it inside at night.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10785
    --Rx
    15,000 gal IG plaster/gunite pool & spa w/gas heater, 60 ft2 DE filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's not completely relevant to your problem, but here's how I did my outdoor speakers. I used conduit, glued up like pvc pipe, and the same method could be applied to remote speakers with in-ground conduit. These are Boston Acoustics Voyager 6 units. Couldn't get the 7s but the 6s are good enough for me and handle 125rms watts each, with surprisingly good sound.

I use an ancient set of Dynaco components--200wpch amp, with pre-amp and tuner. Then I have an ancient but wonderful Nakamichi cassette deck that flips the tape! And I just added a cheapie $80 CD changer than can hold 5 CDs and play MP3 CDs.

Love it.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD

Is this the life, or What!

To sooth my throat I have a glass of 15 year old aged Martinique rum that's smooth as fine cognac, but a lot more exotic!

Does it get any better than this?
    So CarlD, now I know where you sit to truly relax. NICE. Your speaker mounting setup would work just great for my situation. I could mount them on our sofet and angle them toward the pool. Spaced maybe 10 foot between the two. All the wiring would be in the attic.
    Now going wireless really has my ears perked up. I could set some poles around our pool and mount the speakers to them. I think that might look good also. They would defiantly be closer to the pool than if they were mounted to the house.
    Now, I haven't shopped speakers at all yet. But, what are the distance limitations to wireless speakers?

Thanks for the picture and post CarlD, it really has me thinking.

Hey gang, why not go all out. Underwater speakers. Check them out.

http://www.shadebuilder.com/underwater_speakers.html

I would check them out myself if the price were under a hundred. But that's just me.

Enjoy the tunes and the pools, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

I've got the bigger Yamaha outdoor speakers on the yacht. One pair on the deck, one pair down below. I bought them because they didn't take much power to drive and put out better bass than the smaller speakers. The only caveat is that they have a little bass "hump" somewhere just below a bass voice. You have to eq it out or they sound a little boomy. The upside is that if you eq it out they sound very very good. We tend to range Stan Kenton, AC/DC, Willie/Waylon so it's a mighty mixed bag and the speakers really never disappoint. They easily drown out the diesel, wind, waves, and an occassional angry tugboat pilot honking at., could it be us?

They'd make wonderful pool speakers and Fry's and Best Buy often have them on sale for $99/pair. Plus you can say "Someone from the yacht club recommended them to me, Pip Pip!"

Link to said speakers at Amazon
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

Malibu wire for low voltage outdoor lights works great for speaker wire ... I have 4 speakers in my yard using the malibu wire to power them. I use 2 recievers in the house so I have seperate volume control for inside / outside.

Speakers are Bose 151 Enviromental (10 years outside in the sun, rain and sprinklers and they still sound great) out in the yard and klipsch for under teh patio.

try the malibu wire, you don't even need conduit in the ground then.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

+ Reply to Thread