+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: AG Pool Audio System.

Default Re: AG Pool Audio System.

As soon as I say something we get moved. Great topic and a lot of fun. Keep it up. We are talking vintage sound systems, boats, music to blast your neighbors with while relaxing in your above ground pool, bragging about kids a little I guess and how to fix that old receiver.

Looks to me like we have some resident sound pros and this might be a good place to pick their brains.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I know SO little about boats...I'm not a motorhead when it comes to them--I've wanted to learn to sail since my wife and I cruised on the late, lamented WindSong, in 1994, out of Tahiti. I started learning how to use a sextant a gadget that goes back 300 years..and am still hooked. My first back yard reading put my house, on top of what passes for a mountain in NJ, 200 miles out to sea .

I THINK you hook big engines to Zodiacs--they are inflatable.

We can start a sailboat thread....

I have never been in a thread and so far off topic with a mod. It's fun sometimes and I hope it's OK.
    Sure, why not? That's what the "off-topic" category is for. Besides, we mods don't do this as a job, we do it because it's FUN to be on this board.

But let me start a sail-boat thread.....

We'll keep this one for outdoor, antique and nostalgic audio...
    Last edited by CarlD; 08-04-2006 at 07:07 AM.
    Carl

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

I used to be into car audio back in the 90's when I was a little younger and just dabbled a bit in home audio. I guess my first home system was a Yamaha tuner/amp with a pair of Polk audio speakers, I don't remeber the series though. They had a soft dome tweet, a 6 1/2" woofer and a 10" passive radiator. They sounded pretty good.

I remember hanging out at the A/V store I used to buy my stuff at and someone traded in a vintage pair of Klipsch speakers. They had it hooked up to a very powerful kenwood component system and those speakers would rattle the walls of that place, amazing sound too. I have never owned Klipsch speakers but I do have respect for them.

My current setup is a little more wife friendly I have a Yamaha 100x7 surround sound tuner/amp with Infinity surround sound speakers and 100 watt infinity powered sub..very small speakers that the wife can live with but they do put out big sound!! I looked at the $1200 bose setup, but this system delivers alot better sound at half the price. Glad I read the bose reviews before buying!!

I also have a 42" viore plasma (wall mounted) HDTV with dish network HDTV service, that I have been well pleased with..

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Bose?

"Got no highs?
    Got no lows?
    Costs too much?
    Must be Bose!"

Bose is the Harley-Davidson of speakers--all sizzle and no steak at insanely high prices. All image.
    Carl

Dennis,
    That is amazing about your daughter. I have done some recording in Nashville before and I can tell you that it doesn't matter how good (or even bad, the engineer has lots of magic buttons to make you sound amazing) of a musician you are, if you don't have someone that knows his/her stuff on the mixing equipment you might as well give it up. They can make or break your sound. Kudos to your daughter, it is a hard business to make it in.

JD

I have more old stereos than most people can imagine. Curiously, most of them work, and work well.

Our front hall is big and octagonal. I have a rebuilt (by me) pair of New Advents with the walnut finish, running off a Dynaco ST-70 (Yes! THE standard of stereo tube power amps.), with a Pat-4 pre-amp, a Nakamichi RX-202 cassette deck (the one that flips the cassette) and a portable CD player hooked in.

Next to it is the little Dynaco SCA35 amp I rebuilt, hooked to a pair of Boston HD-9 speakers I bought new and are still perfect. Also another Nakamichi--this time the RX-303 cassette deck--much rarer than the 202 or 505. The RX-505 is hooked to the pool setup and the Dragon is part of the main Family Home Theater system.

Finally, there's another ST-70 hooked to a pair of AR-2A speakers I found at a yard sale with ruined exteriors, worn-out equalizer pots, stained and torn grills, and rotted surrounds on the woofers. All that has been fixed. I had a double PAM preamp duo with the unit front panel but they are downstairs now.

Needless to say, I think Nak made the best cassette decks ever.

All this OLLLLLDDDDDDD equipment--My wife tolerates it!
    Carl

Carl,
    You are right about the Bose!!
    I went to one of their stores with the listening room and was blown away by the whole production of the thing, when I was leaving the room I looked in the little closet the operator sits in and noticed the rack of processing equipment sitting in there, then it hit me......What a load of malarkey!!

A friend of mine bought the acoustimass system and has never been pleased with it, we worked with it and worked with it, sounds good in the store, terrible in the living room!!

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

I always wanted a pair of Electro Voice 24 inch PA's. I think they were 109 db 1watt/1meter. I figured there would be nobody in the dorms that could compete. Heck that ST-120 would have easily reached 130 db in that tiny concrete room. Hmm, come to think of it, they're outdoor safe and would make great pool speakers.

On the otherhad, I think these guys have got us all beat...

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

For tunes outside on the patio and pool, I'm currently installing Zoneplayers by Sonos sonos.com. I should be finished by the end of the weekend.

Instead of dragging any stereo components outside, I just have to mount my outdoor speakers (two pair) and connect to a Zoneplayer inside the house.

A little spendy, but definitely convenient since one can access their whole music library via remote control from anywhere in (or outside) the house.

pj

Quote Originally Posted by pj1016
    For tunes outside on the patio and pool, I'm currently installing Zoneplayers by Sonos sonos.com. I should be finished by the end of the weekend.

Instead of dragging any stereo components outside, I just have to mount my outdoor speakers (two pair) and connect to a Zoneplayer inside the house.

A little spendy, but definitely convenient since one can access their whole music library via remote control from anywhere in (or outside) the house.

pj
    I saw them somewhere...rings a bell.

ALL my pool stereo electronics are inside. I ran a pass-through for the speaker connections through the wall and sealed it. There's a clean plate inside where the banana plugs go from the amp. Outside, you can see the plastic conduit I used for the wiring, and the weather boxes over each speaker. Theoretically, I can leave the speakers out all winter, but come the fall, it takes less than 5 minutes to remove both speakers, and no tools.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread