+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AG Pool Audio System.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: AG Pool Audio System.

I finally found the sailboat I can afford to buy and store!

http://www.directinflatables.com/product/10-01551

Yeah, it's inflatable....Sorta like an Intex donut with a sail
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    All you need is a boat and you can be SURE your kids won't see college!

Presto! Change-o! See the bank account magically empty!

haha! very true...

We used to be part of the boat world...what a great time we had! Although am I sure glad those days are gone I'm perfectly content being a happy pool owner

dan

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, and being an audiophile can be a VERY expensive hobby if you go nuts.

But I generally prefer older speakers I can restore, re-foam (very easy) and re-equalize, if necessary. Got some old Advents (including The New Advent--circa 1980), AR2As, B/As, and some others (who was it had the Heil Air Motion transformer? DSS?--got them too).

Then there's cassettes, turntables, amps, tuners, pre-amps, etc...

Tube/solid state, Class A, B, C, etc....
    Carl

Carl, I have an old Harman Kardon receiver that I use for the exterior speakers, It runs real hot and on occasion will drop one of the channels. I'm not much for tinkering with electronics (in truth, i should prolly kill the main breaker before changing a light bulb for my safety) but would like to try to diagnose before buying a cheapo to replace it . Any advice where to start ? I thought maybe opening it up and blowing it out real good to start.. An easy fix would be great but if not, i'll just trash it..

and try this sail boat on for size

http://www.pdracer.com/plans/harley-8.pdf
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Carl, I have an old Harman Kardon receiver that I use for the exterior speakers, It runs real hot and on occasion will drop one of the channels. I'm not much for tinkering with electronics (in truth, i should prolly kill the main breaker before changing a light bulb for my safety) but would like to try to diagnose before buying a cheapo to replace it . Any advice where to start ? I thought maybe opening it up and blowing it out real good to start.. An easy fix would be great but if not, i'll just trash it..
    What I think is going on is that H-K's safety circuits are kicking in to prevent more damage. Better to shut down and cool down than burn out. For the last 25-30 years, most amplifier units (and microwave ovens) have had such circuitry. But something is out of spec on the channel that's going down (I assume it's always the same channel). It could be as small as a single resistor or capacitor that's blown. If you really love it and want to play with it, and have the test equipment, you could have a lot of fun. OTOH, you can buy a really nice two-channel receiver these days for under $100--today, Circuit City has a 100wpch Sherwood receiver for $75....You can't repair the H/K for that. They have an Onkyo surround sound for about $190.

Easy checks: Try the dusting out first. If it's full of dust, heat can build up. Be sure to check the power supply circuit--it should be near or connected to the power suppply transformer and be a smallish circuit board (if it's separate). Those components tend to throw heat.

Also you might check the power transistors and their heat sinks--they get VERY hot, too and if the sinks are dirty, they can't dissappate heat well. If the heat-conducting goop between the transistors and the sinks is shot or too thick, they'll overheat, too.

You could try a fan, like a PC fan, that's quiet to suck heat out of the unit, too. Might have to be inventive!

and try this sail boat on for size

http://www.pdracer.com/plans/harley-8.pdf
    VERY cool! Norm, from This Old House and New Yankee Workshop built a small day-sailor as well, called a Clancy. I have the plans and video, but never built it. It's a little more complicated, but it's a similar idea.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?708
    Carl

Thanks for the advice.. It's always the same channel. I'll get a can of air and see how much dust has accumilated and if anything obvious jumps out at me. If it keeps doing it, I'll just replace it with a cheapo unit.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

The amazing thing is that even cheapo units like that Sherwood and an Onkyo I got my mom perform as well if not better than units from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Ordinary stereo at high quality got very, very cheap.
    Carl

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

Yup, you guys are taking me for a walk down memory lane. Audio was a hobby of mine when I was a kid. I've got more than one pair of homemade speakers per room in my house. My living room is graced by my father's old pair of AR3/A's driven by a Hafler DH-200.

The main reason I recommended the Yamahas is that with the larger box and woofer you get good efficiency and a high maximum SPL per dollar. Yamaha didn't have to make as many comprimises on the sound to shrink the speakers because they didn't shrink them as much. And at $99 to $150/pair you don't really have to break the bank. Like I said though without the equilizer tweak you WON'T like the sound. I suspect the smaller Yamahas are not as good as the bign's. I completely agree with Carl on the Bose speakers. Sound quality per $$ isn't there.

Now when do we start talking about yacht racing?
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

Quote Originally Posted by sailork
    Now when do we start talking about yacht racing?

this ought to get your blood moving

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/138844

Quote Originally Posted by sailork
    Now when do we $tart talking about yacht racing?
    A$ $oon a$ we can get lot$ of gue$$ what $ta$hed in our per$onal bank account$!

Becau$e what do you think we'll $pend lot$ and lot$ of?

Haffler: That's a grand old name! I've virtually every kind of amp, pre-amp and tuner Dynaco ever made. Even have some UN-built kits!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread