+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What causes green hair?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: What causes green hair?

Personally, I LIKE green hair...when I was younger and owned a Salon my hair was various colors....including green, pink, blue and purple. One time I even had a drawing of a sailboat on the ocean dyed on my hair for a hair show I was doing education for! THAT job took my business partner and two of my workers to complete and was done over 2 days! (I admit that I went through a 'punk phase' The stuff we DO when we are young and foolish! I still have the tattoos and piercings. They don't go away as easily)
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-28-2006 at 08:01 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I had the green hair thing happen to me before. On my honeymoon - long blonde ponytail. My new hubby said, as we were walking down the beach, "Your hair is green!" I didn't believe him at first, but sure enough, it was. I assumed that it was from the chlorine in the hotel pool -- now I know better. It was from copper in the pool. Spent the next day at a beauty shop having them put some bright red stuff on my hair. Whatever it was, it worked. Back to blonde. (Of course, I always tease my hubby that it was a sign that I shouldn't have married him! )

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom
    I had the green hair thing happen to me before. On my honeymoon - long blonde ponytail. My new hubby said, as we were walking down the beach, "Your hair is green!" I didn't believe him at first, but sure enough, it was. I assumed that it was from the chlorine in the hotel pool -- now I know better. It was from copper in the pool. Spent the next day at a beauty shop having them put some bright red stuff on my hair. Whatever it was, it worked. Back to blonde. (Of course, I always tease my hubby that it was a sign that I shouldn't have married him! )
    basic corrective color. They didn't get rid of the green but neutralized it with red. The metal was still in your hair.

jnorris is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jnorris 0

Wow, thanks for all the info! What do people do if they use the copper algaecides? Do they then have to put something in the water to sequester the metals? And if you do that, do you stil run the risk of green hair? Again, all hypothetical, since I'm not having an algae problem. But my PB did tell me that he always recommends the copper algaecides to his clients. He says he recommends a "special" one that doesn't cause problems; I think he called it "chelated".
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 16 x 40 IG vinyl pool (installed in 2006) in S.C.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorris
    Wow, thanks for all the info! What do people do if they use the copper algaecides? Do they then have to put something in the water to sequester the metals? And if you do that, do you stil run the risk of green hair? Again, all hypothetical, since I'm not having an algae problem. But my PB did tell me that he always recommends the copper algaecides to his clients. He says he recommends a "special" one that doesn't cause problems; I think he called it "chelated".
    Chelated copper only stays chelated for so long then it begins to stain. Sequstering agents also chelate copper to keep it from staining and they need to be reapplied on a regular basis!
    I would avoid copper....you DO NOT NEED IT!

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

The stuff we DO when we are young and foolish! I still have the tattoos and piercings.
    Well that completely changed the way I picture you !!

You just went from the Nutty Professor to Sid Vicious.

The difference is absolutely mind boggling, don't you think ?

Hmmm, on second thought, NEVER MIND !!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I actually look somewhat repectable these days! (I'm in my 50's!) I have to...I work in a school with Deaf and blind kids! I did have hair to my waist just about 3 years ago. Before I moved from S. Fl. to the town I llve now I did computer work (yes, I'm a Geek also!) and how I looked was not an issue so I was able to have my long hair....I do miss it! No one ever asks me where the Harley is parked anymore.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-28-2006 at 11:25 PM.

If you put a strong oxidizer like beach on hair treated with a true metallic dye it would get very hot and the hair would literally disintegrate!
    *Runs out to store to get some "Just For Men" and Chlorox while staring mischeviously at his unpleasant roomate.*

Quote Originally Posted by troykristoffer
    *Runs out to store to get some "Just For Men" and Chlorox while staring mischeviously at his unpleasant roomate.*
    Not a metallic dye...you need greacian forumula!

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Not a metallic dye...you need greacian forumula!

Ohh thanks!

+ Reply to Thread