+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Barracuda G3 doesn't move much

Default Barracuda G3 doesn't move much

Hello,

I'm a newbie but have been lurking for a bit (info regarding use of grocery store products alone has saved me a ton!).

I live in the desert and have an inground pool (roughly ~15' x 25'); the deep end is ~8' deep. I don't know what you call the pump style - there's a receptable underwater that I connect the pool cleaner's hose to. The pump runs on 220V and I have a big sand filter (in case any of that is relevant ).

I have a G3 that works ok in-and-of itself, but it likes to mosey on down to the deep end (one pass) and get stuck on the upward curve of the wall. I'm not sure what to do to make it move around a bit (I hand vac' the pool once a day because the one or two swaths cut by the G3 don't quite cut it ). I've played with hose configuration and routing; I have 3 feed jets that really are no where near the little dude when it gets hung up (I dont think the jets' contrails are creating an issue).

I once read about feelers and about weighting the suction hose, but I didn't find enough info to know what I'm doing or if that would help.

So I ask the experts what your thoughts are. It seems like my observations might not be unusual for this particular unit, but I'd like to try to make it more effective.

Thank you for your time and any thoughts!

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: Barracuda G3 doesn't move much

not an expert, but i find myself constantly adjusting the weight on my vac (not a barracude but simpler)..we get breezes in the summer on and off that move the water in the pool and my cleaner is definitely influenced by them..i usually watch a couple of passes and see if it's liking the wall too much..if it is , i move the float around on the hose. 3ft away from the head is the recommended starting point on mine and it varies from there to get it to "behave"

I'm no expert either but I heard once that the barricuda's have some part that tends to go out a lot causing it not to move as much as it sould. I got a Barricuda my self but I kinda like the Krepy Krawlers a little more.
    Occupation = Amature Pool man.

NO I'm not here to sell or promote anythihg...well I do fell pretty strong about DE filters Just trying to futher my trade and maybe help someone in the process.

IG Pool & Spa...about 15,000 gl and a DE filter w a 2hp Sta-Rite pump.

Hello,

Apologies for the slow return - I didn't realize that I hadn't set-up email notifications. :bang:

I very much appreciate the replies.
    Tenax, can I get 'floats' about anywhere? I avoid pool stores like crazy and as a result I'm not well versed in what they stock. I'll do a search about the floats to see if I can find ancillary information (I obviously don't understand the idea since my pool is 8' deep and a float 3' from the head would create a flying barracuda, wouldn't it?). That sounds like a great thing to try though!

ThePoolGuy, thank you for the insight about the possible component failure. This was not my decision (getting this unit) but it cost enough that I'd like to use it till it turns to dust.
    The thing motors along all right - it just doesn't seem to wander randomly like it should. Previously (when the house was purchased), we had an old KK unit (new circa 10 years ago) and that little tub did a fine job of motoring around randomly.

Thank you very much - any other info or guidance you can supply would be great. I'm fairly new to the upkeep of the pool and never had the wealth of forums like this to draw upon.
    Take care!

+ Reply to Thread