+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: anyone have any experience with the Skim Shark?

Default Re: anyone have any experience with the Skim Shark?

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace1
    Well I received my PoolSkim yesterday only to be disappointed again. The product only comes with 2 inch pvc fittings even though it is marketed as working on both inground and above ground pools. If you have an above ground pool with standard 1.5 inch return fittings you will have to order their adapter for $5 plus 2 dollars shipping. I plan to make a trip to Lowes on the way home to see if I can come up with some fittings to make it work.
    That's really strange. Their web site (same paragraph you quote above) says, "...It comes with a range of fittings ...". You would think 1.5" returns would be pretty standard.

I anxiously await your report once you get it hooked in.

waldreps is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst waldreps 0

gwrace1,

Thanks for being the guinea pig for us all. That is very helpful info and is very nice of you to do.

Stacy

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

Well I was able to complete the installation today. I need to correct a statement I made earlier about the fittings that came with the PoolSkim. As it turns out it DID COME with all the right fittings. My three year old daughter managed to get to the package before I did. When I got home from work I found the box open. I found the missing fitting in her room while picking up toys today.

Anyway I'm pleased to say that the PoolSkim works as advertised. We have a 33' round AGP rated at 26000 gallons. It does require some adjustments to the placement and angle of the fittings until you get everything nice and level. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump with two returns. Water pressure between the returns is controlled by a 3 way valve. The first return is for an Aqualumintor with fountain. The second feeds into the standard pool return. On low speed I had to kill the flow to the fountain on the aqualuminator to provide enough water pressure for the PoolSkim. On high speed water pressure was more then enough to run both returns.

It reminds me of a miniature toilet bowl the way it swallows up everything in site. It did not have any problems with insects, leaves, sticks, pollen or any other debris floating on the pool surface. It was able to maintain a nice gentle flow of water to keep things moving towards the opening.

All in all very happy with the product. Highly recommended.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

leejp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leejp 0

gwrace1...

Thanks for the review!!! I probably would have made the purchase anyway but your comments make it a slam dunk! I'll get one as soon as I remove my loo-loc cover (pump/filter is running but it's still a wee bit cold here in the Northeast and the Norway Maples have not stopped dropping yet).
    Last edited by leejp; 05-17-2006 at 09:02 AM.
    26,000 Vynil Liner L Inground
    Hayward 1HP Superpump + Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    Poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner Pressure Side Cleaner
    Loop-Loc Mesh cover

waldreps is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst waldreps 0

gwrace1,

Did the poolskim cause your system pressure to go up? Where did you order yours from? Thanks for the review.

Stacy

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

Stacy

I have not noticed any pressure increase. The return flow is probably less restricted as you remove the directional eyelet that is in the standard return and replace it with 1.5-2 inch fittings. The only place I could find to order it was directly from the distributor in Florida that was listed on the PoolSkim web site. It was $60 plus 5 dollars shipping. I had to call in the order as they don't have an ecommerce web site.

I also received the Pool Devil the other day. It appears to be a much cheaper made version using the same principle. I decided to leave well enough alone and let the Pool Skim do what it does best and that's clean the surface of the pool. For the $16 dollars I paid for it I'll keep it as a backup cleaner.

33' Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra II round with 54" wall 26000 gallon capacity -- 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump / Pentair 26" Sand Filter with Zeolite filter media
    Aquarite Salt Water Generator -- Complete aluminum deck with fence kit
    Aqualuminator with Fountain -- Solar Pool Lights
    Pool Pictures at the link below
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548241672nKeuyR

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

I am very interested in buying that skimmer it seems like it works but i wanted to ask you a question before i pulled the trigger. how fine is the bag that is included will it catch pollen,small ants and tiny bugs. my pool has tons of that crap on the surface in these months. also can the bag be changed to a more fine meshed one if needed? Thanks

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

I would like to look into one of the skimmers as well. I have an 18 x 36 IG oval pool and only have 1 skimmer, so assistance would be wonderful. How does this work with the water coming out of the return, and this being screwed into the return? Also, how big is it? I have an Aquabot and don't want it to interfere with it.

Thanks.

Default Question about Pool Skim fitting

Hi,

Thanks for your helpful review of both the Skim Shark and Pool Skim.
    I placed an order for Skim Shark with "In the Swim", but since it is back ordered I did a search and found this great forum. Now I’m glad that it’s back ordered. Seems that the Pool Skim is the only game in town for auto surface skimming, isn’t it?

I have a question for you about the fitting. I just bought this house with a 20 year old, 22k gallon IGP and the inlets are just round smooth holes about 1” in diameter with no thread inside or outside. Will it be possible to fit the Pool Skim in?
    I have lots of leaves and I’m sick and tired of manual skimming.
    Just bought the Dolphin Diagnostic ($700 at inyopool.com) and I love it! Highly recommended.
    The other option was the Aquabot but the Dolphin seems a better machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace1
    Well I was able to complete the installation today. I need to correct a statement I made earlier about the fittings that came with the PoolSkim. As it turns out it DID COME with all the right fittings. My three year old daughter managed to get to the package before I did. When I got home from work I found the box open. I found the missing fitting in her room while picking up toys today.

Anyway I'm pleased to say that the PoolSkim works as advertised. We have a 33' round AGP rated at 26000 gallons. It does require some adjustments to the placement and angle of the fittings until you get everything nice and level. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump with two returns. Water pressure between the returns is controlled by a 3 way valve. The first return is for an Aqualumintor with fountain. The second feeds into the standard pool return. On low speed I had to kill the flow to the fountain on the aqualuminator to provide enough water pressure for the PoolSkim. On high speed water pressure was more then enough to run both returns.

It reminds me of a miniature toilet bowl the way it swallows up everything in site. It did not have any problems with insects, leaves, sticks, pollen or any other debris floating on the pool surface. It was able to maintain a nice gentle flow of water to keep things moving towards the opening.

All in all very happy with the product. Highly recommended.

+ Reply to Thread