+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Phantom

captainx is offline ** No working email address ** captainx 0

Default Hayward Phantom

Anyone know about this or have any experience with it? The website makes it look pretty impressive. I have a IG gunite pool with pebble finish. It has steps and 2 swimouts, that's why this one intrigued me.

Thanks for any advice!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Phantom

I do know the early units did have some problems and they redesigned the hoses. Don't know if it fixed the problems or not....haven't heard anything about them one way or the other since. We sell them where I work but no one has bought one. It seems that Haywards most popular cleaner where I work is the suction side Navigator.

We have sold several of the Baracuda Mars pressure side cleaners and have gotten favorable feedback on them, expecially in regards to climbing and dealing with steps. I have not seen one in action myself so I can't comment as to how effective it really is. I personally still favor the Polaris units.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Rescue30 is offline ** No working email address ** Rescue30 0

I have the Hayward Phantom.It is in it's second season.it is an awesome cleaner ! I also own a Blue diamond remote robot cleaner , which only gois in the pool once a week , the Phantom gets thrown in every third day.I lost my main drain, a few years back and they wanted $10K to fix it , so I opted for a robot cleaner , the robot just takes a lot of time to clean the bag and you get all wet.The Phantom is so easy to connect/disconnect .it has 3 modes :
    top skim only, bottom clean only, auto mode which does 13 minutes on the bottom and then 7 minutes on top.i have owned alot of cleaners in the past , Polaris 380,360,340, Barracuda G3, Letro legend , The Phantom is by far the best of all pressure driven cleaners out there in my humble opinion.You will need a booster pump on one of your return lines for it to work.

sb2323 is offline ** No working email address ** sb2323 0

We got a Phantom this season off eBay for less than $500 and have been very happy with it. It will get hung up if we don't keep the floats, etc. out of the pool when it's running, but other than that no problem.

CallMeIshmael is offline ** No working email address ** CallMeIshmael 0

Quote Originally Posted by sb2323
    We got a Phantom this season off eBay for less than $500 and have been very happy with it. It will get hung up if we don't keep the floats, etc. out of the pool when it's running, but other than that no problem.
    I'm another Phantom owner who's been really pleased. We had a Kreepy before, but heavy fall leaves inspired us to make the switch. The Phantom does an incredible job of cleaning both top & bottom. It took all of 20-30 minutes to set up the hoses, pressure & switches (very straightforward), and it was off & running. I admit, I tossed a bunch of leaves in to test it & the Phantom handled them with no problems within an hour, top & bottom.
    Ditto on the pool toys- It was running around with my son's pool float the other day

I am just finishing up my second year with our phantom. I replaced a polaris which I sold on ebay for $100. The polaris was on it's last legs.

So far I have had to replace the sweep tail, and one of the side rollers broke the post it sits on. I was able to fix that with a stainless steel bolt. Since then I have replaced all the side rollers with softer rubber ones. The Leslie guy gave them to me for free, said the new ones come that way.

I am really impressed with its ability, but think the hose design is bad. All in all, I would buy it again.

Tom

Just purchased a phantom on ebay, $477.00 - $200 rebate final cost $277. Can't wait to get it in the pool in the spring. Hayward just upped the rebate from $100 to $200. Free shipping as well.

+ Reply to Thread