+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inflatable vs. Metal Frame

Hybrid View

Default Inflatable vs. Metal Frame

Looking at getting a starter pool and do not want to (yet) invest in an above ground pool. I am looking at something 18' by about 4' deep. I hope to get a few years out of it, and will probably take it down every fall and erect again in the Spring. What is my best bet and what do I need to consider when purchasing? Also, I am buying in Canada (Ottawa), can anyone reccomend a good place to look for these types of pools and what price I should be looking at?

Thanks,

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Default Re: Inflatable vs. Metal Frame

We had the intex 15 inflatable pool a few years back, and it was such a pain the @ss ! We were constantly patching the inflatable top ring, because cats would get up there to get a drink and their claws would put holes in the ring. Also, the ground has to be absolutely, perfectly level or it will cause the pool to tump over. With the unlevel ground and ring constantly going flat, we couldn't get more than a day or two of use from the pool, without having to refill it and start from scratch. Also, the filter they use in that thing is a piece of junk. Plus, no skimmer and the vacuum is a joke, too.
    I'd do yourself a favor and get an above ground pool, you'll be glad you did.

I have an inflatable ring 18' Intex and so far love it. BUT, I've only had it up for 10 days. Levelling the area WAS a huge PITA, but I would've had to do that for any AG pool - maybe in a few years we'll just expand on the level pad and put a bigger pool up. The vacuum that came with my pool works great (I think different vacs come with different pools), and the filter has been just fine so far - I knew going in that the filter is underpowered, so I take a bit of time each morning to spray my skimmer sock, debris screen and filter cartridge. I see currents from the return hole, which I think should mean a powerful enough water turnover for really such a small pool.

Bottom line, it's a perfect pool to: learn maintenance on, teach my 4 yo how to swim in, cool off after mowing the lawn, and have a margarita in on a hot night.

What the heck more can anyone want for $300?!

Amy

gpshemi is offline ** No working email address ** gpshemi 0

Don't get an Intex or Sun -n- Shade. You'll be disappointed. That's actually how I ended up with an AG Esther Williams pool this year. I bought my little boy a $200 Intex at Wally World. It was up 2 days and it collapsed and sent 3000 gallons into the back yard. I'll add that the well pump ran almost 7 hours to fill it too. Needless wear and tear on everything frankly. If you want to keep the costs down and don't want a full blown AG pool, I have some friends that are having good luck with the "portable" type pools. They are a metal frame "basket" type with 35mil liner. They don't have to be dead nuts level either. You can have them 4" off and they'll still hold up. You can put real filters on them too at any point.

Check out this link. http://www.arthurspools.com/pools/legacy.htm
    The Legacy was nicer looking of the brands and is what I seriously considered just before we decided to get the EW AG. The kicker for us was that some stores said you could leave them up for winter, other said take them down. I didn't want to mess with it every year. To a certain degree I regret not trying one out cuz it's less money and after all...yer just trying to get wet right? However, the wife didn't want to risk the money over the winter and I didn't want to tear anything down. That should hold up for year though if you do.

gpshemi

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I had an Intex 15'x3' inflatable and we used it for 3 years and loved it.

1) A level site is critical for ANY pool. You can maybe get away with an inch out of level, but a half inch is the max recommended.

2) In 3 years I never had a hole ANYWHERE in my EasySet. My wife's cats are indoor cats, and I used the EasySet cover religiously. It is very tight-fitting, sealing the pool, and covers the ring completely, adding protection. It also greatly reduces chlorine usage since it blocks all UV rays and prevents evaporation of the chlorine. I did have it empty when a hose sprung a leak while on vacation, but I don't blame the pool.

I think the EasySet is an EXCELLENT starter pool. When you are floating in a lounge chair, with an iced drink, on a lazy afternoon, it feels JUST as good as big pool. And the water is just as wet. I would, however, be leery of the clear-sided one. On mine, the sides were HEAVILY re-inforced.
    Carl

gpshemi is offline ** No working email address ** gpshemi 0

The portable pools can be set up on unlevel ground. I repeat, they do not need to be as level as traditional pools. The manufactures even state that in the flyers.

The easyset pools get mixed reviews. It was a nightmare for me, but for others (liek a buddy of mine) they get 3-4 years out of them. My buddy got his on sale for $60. This is his 3rd year and the filter just went out. The filter was $63 this year and the pool is $90. Luckly for him he found one at a yard sale for $5. However, he was about to toss the pool.

When I returned mine Wally World said they've had some problems with them, but they sell well. Guess it's really up to you.

If that's the route you want to take I'd go look at poratables at Sam's (~$600-$800). They have been carrying them and I think they'd hold up alot better, and they'd have a traditional sand filter and not a fish tank power head. Just my $.02 though.

gpshemi

+ Reply to Thread