+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable vs. Metal Frame

Default Re: Inflatable vs. Metal Frame

We dug ours on one side and built up the other too! Has worked just fine, also ended up using a laser level and double checking with a water level - there's a great thread with great tips and help from wonderful people here on my whole leveling experience. We used those edging blocks you see everywhere to hold in the built-up side. I can take a pic too if you want.

Amy

D1Dave - ours ended up settling with about a 3/4" difference too!

Amy, pictures would be great.

thanks

We started out years ago with one of those 10x6 foot rectangular blow up pools...graduated to the 12' foot Intex, then the 14'. We only ditched the 12 footer because we had a leak in the donut ring that we couldn't be bothered to find, and the prices on them were dropping rapidly at that point. We used our 14' Intex for a couple years with great results. It came with a slightly better pump/filter that always worked well, and I figured out how to rig a more 'real' vacuum with some left over hose and the return basket cover. I'd say it was well worth what we paid for it, but my kids just outgrew it. It's a great way to learn how to deal with pool chemistry while having a great place to splash around.

I will say though that our site wasn't perfectly level and our pool did take on a more oval shape as a result. Because of that I tended not to keep it at full fill level, so I didn't overtax the walls. It never did fail though.

We've had both the inflatable ring and metal frame pools. We liked the metal frame pool better. The kids could hang on the sides and not cause a flood. LOL The Metal frame definately felt sturdier. We would still be using the metal frame pool if we hadn't moved to where we could install a AG pool. They are a good pool to figure out if you want to go through the expense of a larger pool. Here's a link to a couple of pics of the ones we had.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...28/t_=35664128

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...28/t_=35664128
    Karen
    18' AG

I've owned both types, too. I prefer the metal frame pool over the blow up one for several reasons.

1. You have a little more swim area in the frame pool since the sides install straight up instead of at an angle.

2. It's easier to clean also due to the straight sides.

3. The skimmer stays in place, unlike the one on the blow up pool.

I had my blow up pool up for 2 going on 3 seasons here in TX. The cover would not stay on at all. The ring kept losing air and the skimmer kept popping out of the water.

This is my first winter with the metal frame pool. We'll see how it goes with the cover. I don't plan to take the pool down over the winter.

anyone have pictures to post of how they levelled the ground, specifically those that built up as opposed to digging down?

thanks

jonv112 is offline ** No working email address ** jonv112 0

Hello from Toronto!

I always wanted a pool. I started out with a rectangular pool for about 3 years, and I now have an Intex 16'x42" Easy-Set. This is my first summer using it, as it was purchased end of summer last year. My backyard is very long and about 22' wide. There is a 4cm slope in my yard. I never leveled it, but I think my pool is misformed as the water level is the same throughout the circumference. It is OK for my needs-for now at least. I'm starting to look at a 12x24 AGP, instead of continuing to upgrade to larger Intex pools.

Here is a very big downside to owning an Intex pool:

In Toronto at least, the swimming season is only about 1.5-2 months maximum, and you have to take down the pool and store it near the end of August. A month after I set up my pool, near the end of July, my water was SO cloudy that I figured it wasn't worth the effort to treat it, so I just emptied the entire pool. When it was drained, I wanted to wash the ground cloth and the liner, which kinda started to smell. I took off the liner, and almost threw up at the smell. Then, I took off the ground cloth! I will never forget the stench (good thing the neighbours never complained)! It smelled like our very own pig farm, but 10x worse. It was better after it dried out, and everything was washed. Thankfully my pool is now set up and the smell is nowhere to be....smelled.

My advice,

When taking down an Intex pool, wear a gas mask. Or, just skip all of the hassle and get an AGP.
    Last edited by jonv112; 08-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

I agree with the Torontonian...

remove all the grass prior to setting up... ( the rotting grass smell travels far & the stink lasts quite a while... not to mention attracting every fly for kilometers ! )

BTW, you can put a solar panel to these pools & get amazing results to extend your swimming season.

I had a dolphino easy-set 18' x 48" for two years...

regarding leveling : when leveling for a pool, start at the lowest point on your yard & go from there
    sand cannot be used to level these for safety reasons.

I think if I hadn't moved into a new house with an IG pool, I would have bought a Vogue Zodiak pool ( has metal framing)...
    it has rectangular shapes instead of round, which is better for swimming & it is deeper.
    It still counts as "portable" so you can get around some of the swimming pool by-laws, but you have the option to leave it up for the winter; which means a whole lot less work ( & less water consumption too)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I laid down a rubble base, then filled it up with about 6-8" of Mason's sand. I never had a problem like that with the smell. I would cover the base with a blue tarp for the winter and it was fine.
    Carl

Metal Frame Pool Questions...

Just curious, for any one who owned/owns a metal frame pool, where did you buy it from? We were considering one but could not find anyone (except online) that seem to carry them

+ Reply to Thread