+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pentair vs Hayward Pumps

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

Default Pentair vs Hayward Pumps

Hello All:

I did a search but couldn’t find any results that answered my question.

I am in the market to replace my old Hayward pump. For ease of installation, I am considering the Pentair SuperFlo or Hayward Super Pump (there is also a Hayward RS model being sold by some pool stores) . Both have the 7 3/4" high, 1.5" dia. suction side intakes that match my current pump configuration.

The pump would be feeding an 18" top mount 100# sand filter that services a 12K gal IG vinyl liner rectangle pool without a spa. 2 skimmers and a main drain make up the suction side. The pressure side is simply two outlets placed at opposite ends of the same wall with the skimmers. I’ve added the main drain, but never upgraded my pump. I am thinking the time has come to move up to 1HP from 3/4hp. I get little to no suction at the drain, and the skimmers dont seem to "pull in" floating surface debis very well. Additonally, when I vaccuum, my PSI in the filter goes down to around 5psi, where normally it is operating btn 10-14 PSI. Any experiences you can share here?

I guess my filter replacement question is, based on noise, performance, operating costs, turnover rate, etc, which is your preference and why?

It seems Hayward is marketed toward consumers, and Pentair seems to be the professionals’ preference...why is this? Or is this a misconception on my part?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Is there another manufacturers/models I should be considering?

Thanks

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: Pentair vs Hayward Pumps

i would also consider sta-rite...owned by pentair now i believe.

i think between pentair, hayward, sta-rite you'll find something you like.

i have a sta-rite 3/4 hp that actually still is working fine, but i found a great guy on ebay who rebuilds pumps. i just received today and it's perfect at a 3rd of the price knew and i believe he gives a 1 year warranty (no, it's not me and i don't know the guy..just like to get a great deal. i got a 400 u.s. pump new for 145 u.s. and it has an A.O. smith motor which are supposed to be really good) if you want a link to the person, i can provide if you pm or email me.

i've read about a good number of hayward breakdowns, but that being said, i don't own one but do know people who have with no issues.

the pentairs seem to be thought pretty highly of as do the sta-rites.

i guess a person should consider jacuzzi brand as well.

ps- why am i replacing the sta-rite? again, it's working fine..but i'm redoing my whole system and wanted a little more oomph for my 16,000 gallon inground in terms of pool turnover. and i don't want to be caught short without a pump if the old one were to fail. it is at least 5 years old, but may be 15. i like to know where my system started out so i know what is what. i will be keeping the old one as a strong backup once i put in my new sta-rite.

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

thx. I sent you a pvt email.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

and email sent to you good luck!

I agree on the sta-rite. I just instaled one and am very please. I have several freinds with them and they have had no issues. The pool shop I bought mine from said they have few issues and are easy to work on if needed unlike some other brands such as the Hayward Northstar which is very difficult. I bought a 1hp pump for a 13000 gallon inground play pool and love it. One local shop wanted $500 for a hayward RS and I found the sta-rite at a small local shop for $280. Sta-rite under Pentair lets you know you are getting quality for a reasonable price.

+ Reply to Thread