+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Test results vary between meter and drop test - not sure what to do?

west1745 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst west1745 0

Default Test results vary between meter and drop test - not sure what to do?

I just did a partial drain and refill to remove excess CYA. And that little venture was successful - we are now at a happy level of 60.

Anyway, about adding the salt. The meter on the Goldline AquaRite Salt Chlorine Generator says that my salt is 3300 ppm.

But the Taylor drop test indicates that the salt is 2600. I took that test this morning with the pump running on low speed (have a 2 speed pump).

Why is there such a difference in test results? And which one do you think is right?

Maybe I should wait until tonight when the pump is running on full speed to do another drop test?

The salt was added 2 days ago and has dissollved completely.

Default Re: Test results vary between meter and drop test - not sure what to do?

My goldline Aqualogic shows about 400ppm higher than salt test strip tests or a test I had at the pool store. I've been meaning to call goldline support about this, but haven't.

So we're in the same boat and I'm awaiting responses to this thread.

Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Default Re: Test results vary between meter and drop test - not sure what to do?

I have a Lamotte Digital Tester for Salt and its way off after only one season.

I believe an electric current is passed between two points for this test and the points can become corroded or it can just become off over time and need calibration.

The strip test is usually off for me and hard to read anyways. When I knew how much salt I had in a new fill the strip showed far more salt than was actually in the pool.....the drop test was spot on.

I would trust the drop test. Just be exact with your measurements.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

I would think that as long as your SWG is happy, you have enough salt in the pool .
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

You need to take your water sample to a pool store (two if you can) and see which testing results are consistant. Don't go by the SWG reading as these devices can get out of calibration. If the pool store reading confirms the Taylor kit you have your answer and you need to recalibrate the SWG. If the pool store reading confirms the SWG reading you may be using the Taylor kit incorrectly or have a bad kit.
    I found out about recalibrating my SWG when it said I didn't have enough salt. Then I added some and it wanted more so I became suspicous and had the water tested. I found out the SWG was wrong and now have too much salt in the pool(fortunately I'm still in the acceptable salt range but at the high end around 3800ppm).
    Good Luck

I haven't seen anything in the manual about recalibrating a goldline aqualogic system. If I find that it is reading 400 low, is there something I can do to recalibrate this, or just do a manual recalibration in my head?

Thanks,
    Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

They don't tell you about recalibrating in the manual. Its not normally done by the owner. Your service person would do this after charging you $100. If you do your own service work you can call Goldline for the procedure or if your still under warranty let them send someone out. Either way it would be useful to have the water tested elsewhere so you know where the problem is.
    Good Luck

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

If you are going to believe a salt test, then the drop based Taylor K-1766 is the one to use. It beats any meter that I have come across, especially from a pool store. It is a gimmick that has to be calibrated frequently, and as such I consider it a copout for serious testing.

Apologies for the rant, but things like this push my buttons.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

west1745 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst west1745 0

Quote Originally Posted by PatL34
    If you are going to believe a salt test, then the drop based Taylor K-1766 is the one to use. It beats any meter that I have come across, especially from a pool store. It is a gimmick that has to be calibrated frequently, and as such I consider it a copout for serious testing.

Apologies for the rant, but things like this push my buttons.

Pat
    Well, I do have that drop test kit. And a happy answer to my own post!! :-)

The answer was POP - pool owner patience!! I decided to wait a few days since I had just drained and refilled and added salt. I did use a lot less salt than called for on the chart - and that was a good thing.

The Taylor K-1766 now says 3000 ppm and the Goldline meter says 3300 - so that is pretty good I think - I am not going to do anything more for now.

I think I just had to wait out those few days for the water to get mixed real well and to make sure the salt was thoroughly dissolved in the pool.

The Goldline is less than a year old so I think it must be okay.

Pool is looking great now - thanks to Ben's test kit and my daily diligence and the use of this board. Thanks to all!!

I just bought a salt test kit today and tried it out. I had been thinking the aqualogic was reading high because when it was showing 3200 early in the year, I took the water to the store and they read 2900. Around the same time, I tried a salt strip and it showed around 2900, so I assumed the aqualogic was high.

Today, I took a sample to the store when I bought the Taylor salt drop test. They read 2900 with their probe. The aqualogic is reading 2800. I just tried the drop kit for the first time and it took 16 drops. Ugh! Just the opposite of what I expected. I'll try the drop test again this weekend and a test strip also. Maybe I'll take the water in to another store too. I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I guess I'll trust the aqualogic for a while and do some more testing.

For my test, getting to drops 13-15, the drops would go in, turn the entry point red, and the solution would go back to all yellow. It was the 16th drop that all of a sudden turned the entire solution red (light brown) and it stayed that way.

Robert
    ~~

+ Reply to Thread