+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too Big Of Filter???

Question Too Big Of Filter???

I have a 5500 gal intex pool, with the tiny filter that came with it. At a garage sale last weekend i found a BRAND NEW Dayton pool filter and pump (3/4 hp and a #50 cart filter). Obviously, and he told me so, he had no idea what it was and sold it to me for $5.00!!!!!! I thought cool, now my vac will really work.

Then i went to my local pool store and tried to get some fittings to hook it up and was telling them about my great buy and they proceeded to tell me that it is too big and will do more harm than good and i would be sorry hooking it up.

Is this true???

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

Default Re: Too Big Of Filter???

I don't believe there is such a thing as too big a filter. the pump on the other hand might be too much for your skimmer and returns. I'm not real familiar with AG pools, others will chime in with more useful insights.

I think it's only a problem when the pump is too big for the filter. If they are matched, at worst you will probably just turn over your pool very fast, which isn't a bad thing, you get to run the pump for shorter times.

As long as you can get fittings to match up to your pool, I would use it.

What a great buy

I would also go for it, why would you regret a faster turnover? The pool store probably just wants you to toss it and buy a new pool from them, with a new pump and filter that is specifically matched to the pool. You got a bargain I would say and for what it would cost to give it a go it would be worth a shot.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Which Intex? Hard frame or EasySet Donut?

The biggest problems I see are:
    First, as mentioned, if the filter is too small for the pump (or the pump is too big for the filter--same thing). In that case you may be able to get a reduced-flow impeller for the pump, which would be the cheapest solution--You got a BIG margin on a $5 pump&filter!

The second problem is that most filters are 1.5" plumbed, and most Intex pools are 1.25" fitted--and you cannot increase the size. This mean that you'll need to step-down in fittings to 1.25" at some point, which will increase pressure and may damage the pool at that point. ANOTHER good reason for the reduced-flow impeller...

But once you have that solved, hook up a solar panel and you'll have a HUGE hot tub, complete with jet!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread