+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Partial fill, rain, salt?

kathgilliam is offline ** No working email address ** kathgilliam 0

Default Partial fill, rain, salt?

In my continuing saga, I am within a foot of filling the pool and we have torrential rain for the next two days forecast, which has just begun. I turned off the hoses, because flooding is always a possibility here. I can't turn on the pump until I get water past the skimmer boxes. (Another six inches or so.) Water is light green.

Can I put in the salt now and let it be dissolving (I bought water softener pellets)? Or does it have to be pushed around by the pump and a brush? (I don't want to hold an aluminum pole up during this storm!) Should I throw in a gallon of bleach and just walk around the pool dribbling to disburse it?

Kath

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Partial fill, rain, salt?

It's better to get the water level up and start circulating. By all means add bleach. You may need 2 or 3 gallons to help remove the green from the water.

Start circulating as soon as you have a decent level, and concentrate on the pool chemistry to remove more light green. You may have to go up to 15 ppm Chlorine and maintain it, with the pump running 24/7 until the CC = 0

Then you can add the salt and push it around as you suggest. If you can give us some water analyses, it will help us help you.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

kathgilliam is offline ** No working email address ** kathgilliam 0

Exclamation Re: Partial fill, rain, salt?

Pat, please help!!!!!!!!!! Or anyone!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand the plumbing of my pool. I understand that there are two skimmers and most likely the two valves on the left are to the skimmers. The black valve I DON'T GET. It seems to have three positions, but I can't tell what they mean. Then over to the right there is a valve to introduce air to the spa for jets, it has a left, down and right position. I don't know what's what.

The black valve is between the pipe from the skimmers, the pump, and to the right it goes into the ground. I don't know if it's coming or going, and from whence.

Right now, all I know is that I have water coming out of the holes in the wall of the pool and there is suction from the skimmers, so I assume it is circulating water, and that's a good thing, right?
    Last edited by kathgilliam; 07-25-2006 at 04:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread