+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Panel Options?

JWB is offline ** No working email address ** JWB 0

Default Solar Panel Options?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what it would cost to have a solar panel system installed? Here's my situation:

The pool is 26,000 gallons.
    The panels would mount on a 45 degree angle tile roof that faces North.
    I have a motorized vinyl cover for night closure.

I have no idea how many panels I might need, or what size they should be.
    Anyone care to assist me?

Thanks,
    Jon

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have been reseaching solar because I want to add it to my pool. Every company that I have talked to and everything I have seen on the net does not recommend aiming the panels north. (I don't think it means it won't work but it might be very ineffecient)
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-12-2006 at 09:06 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Jon,

Yeah, I'm no solar panel guy but I think that North-facing issue might be a deal breaker.

Dave S.

I had Fafco's "SunSaver" panels installed when we did our pool. Since we had a South facing roof (two story), the dealer recommeded 75% of the surface area of our pool. The panels are 4x12 and they installed 7 panels. The total cost out the door was $4000. It was very straightfoward and didn't include any trenching. Today, my pool was 81 degrees while my neighbors similar pool with the same sun exposure with no solar is at 68. What the others have said I was told as well, and that's North facing will not yield the same results.

InfinityPools is offline ** No working email address ** InfinityPools -

Hi heres your dilema, a 45 degree north face would need 8 to 12 panels to achieve a 15 to 20 degree change in tempature.

It depends on what kind of product you decide on my price would be anywhere from $5,500 to $6,800 for plumbing, product and labor.

If it were me, I would go with the hayward HP6002 a much cheaper alternative. With a 5 year warranty.

Just my opinion: But choose what will be best for you.

Unhappy

Well, I guess solar may not be the best option...thanks for the info guys. What kind of electricity costs do heat pumps incur?

(I'll be running my central air congruently and that's an AC user!)

The problem with north facing panels is they only get enough sun in the part of the year you don't need them. When sizing the system, make sure you keep in mind that a system for year round swimming is different from a season stretcher.

Do you have yard space to put panels on racks, or could you build a poolhouse or patio cover to put the panels on?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    Well, I guess solar may not be the best option...thanks for the info guys. What kind of electricity costs do heat pumps incur?

(I'll be running my central air congruently and that's an AC user!)
    Well, a heat pump's effeciency depends of a lot of factors such as the outsife ambient temp, how much of a temp increase you are looking for, etc. It is also depenedant on where you live and whether you just need a season stretcher or year round heat but as a general rule of thumb a heat pump will cost more than gas or electric on initial purchase but over the years will literally pay for itself with lower operating costs. If solar is not an option for you then you should definately explore heat pumps. As for the cost to run them, realize that they are basically the same thing as your central AC unit and are sized in BTU's and have energy efficiency ratings,etc. Some of the units are even reverse cycle and can both heat and cool and can acutally work in freezing weather! (wouldn't have believed it until I saw my Aquacal Icebreaker heating the pool with an ambient air temp of 31 Degrees!)

Best advice I can give you is to start looking and comparing and talking to as many people as you can. Find out what works well in YOUR area! Talk to some solar companies, they might be able to come up with alternative panel placement that could work for you, also!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Don't face the panels north and they'll be FAR more effective. If you have lots of sun you should b eable to work out a good solar option. I would say with your pool that 3 or 4 4'x20' solar mats would be plenty. Start with 3 and you can always add a 4th. But in the Northern hemisphere, there's no point in mounting north-facing solar panels that I can see.
    Carl

Well thanks for all the responses, I'm in SoCal BTW.

Concerning solar panels:
    My ONLY option is to face them North or horizontally flat along a 11'x11' patio cover, certainly not large enough for most panels I assume. Therefore this option is probably kaput, sorry to say.

Concerning heat pumps:
    The heat pump option is intriguing. They're costly but from what I've read, very cost efficient over time, like waterbear indicated. However if I have to run it simultaneously with my central air, the costs could be staggering.... not to mention the load it might put on our system.

On the other hand, I still have this rusted Purex "Tropical Isle" C180W gas heater that's about 15 years old. It came with this house we bought last year. I ran it once for about 30 seconds just to see if it would come on... it did. God only knows what that would cost to run though. It's rated output is 135,000 BTU/Hour... whatever that means.

Basically my family swims during the summer months only (June through Sept.). We're not water rats though... maybe four times a week tops.

I hope I've covered everything. You guys have been really helpful!
    Jon

+ Reply to Thread