+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool stored...oversized pump, huge filter, newbie questions

Default Pool stored...oversized pump, huge filter, newbie questions

I bought the whole thing as a set, 24' round AG 52" wall 13.5k gallon pool. I have a 75ft DE filter and a two speed pump that says on it 2hp/.25hp. I believe the hoses are 1.5" I run it exclusively on low speed, because there are two connections that are drip, drip, dripping just a bit and it's exacerbated on the high speed. When we started up the system, we mixed and added 4 cans of DE as per the instructions (it was a smallish Folger's coffee plastic can).

Anyhow, on low speed, the PSI seems incredibly low, <10. The return is pretty forceful and the water has been crystal clear. If I turn it up to high power, the PSI jumps to a bit more than 15, I think. Do I not have enough DE in the system? Would adding more increase the PSI -- do I even want to do this? Do I need to open that air bleed valve every time I start up the pump, or should I assume that it's fine once it's been done once (so long as the skimmer doesn't suck air, etc).

I guess 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' since the pool seems to be functioning well on the low speed, but it bugs the heck out of me that I have this high speed I don't 'seem' to need. When I had it on high to vacuum, the pressure actually collapsed one of the hoses where it enters the pump! When the time comes to replace the DE and I need to cut off the water, I plan to work on those two minor leaking spots. Should I be replacing the hoses to better match the pump/filter (but then would I have to change out something at the skimmer/return to adjust the size there?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pool stored...oversized pump, huge filter, newbie questions

You know, I think you are better off than you realize.

First off, my pump and filter (sand) at low speed reads about 8 lbs. So your are fine there. Low speed will save you TONS of money in electricity and if it's keeping the pool clear, GREAT!

As for the leaks: I'm guessing here, big time but this is common. Many pool installers use flexible PVC piping (TigerFlex) instead of hose--it's hard to tell the difference but there is a difference. Then they use internal (barbed) fittings with hose clamps on the TigerFlex--and they inevitably leak.

If that's the case, what can you do? Well, there are 3 solutions I know of:

First, you can add a second or third hose clamp to the fitting. That may help, or even work.

Second, you can replace the TigerFlex with hose. There's even a thick PVC hose. Internal fittings work far more effectively with hose than TigerFlex.

Third, and my preference, is to buy Schedule 40 glue-on fittings, and glue them on the TigerFlex just like you would on hard PVC pipe. I had the same problem when my pool was new--the installers had just driven away and it was leaking! So I glued on Sched 40 fittings and my leaks vanished.

There are other causes to leaks, like not using enough plumber's teflon paste, as one example.
    Carl

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

It sounds to me as if Carl is right and you've got a great pool on your hands. The only thing that sounds fishy is that a 75 sq/ft DE filter would be positively huge for your pool and it would take much more than 4 of the small sized coffee cans of DE to recoat it. I'd bet you've got more like a 40 sq/ft filter, but that's still plenty for the pool. You should check into this because you'll get a much better result from using the correct amount of DE.
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Just an FYI - if you use a heat gun on the tiger flex, warm it up some, crank the barbed connector tighter by a little bit, your leaks should disappear, worked on every one of my leaks except those that would be coming from where teh connector screws onto the equipment - teflon tape fixes those.

Thanks for the input. It really is a 75 DE. And so far it's cleaning like a champ. But then, I guess it oughta.

I'm going to wait until the DE needs servicing, probably a couple more weeks and take the opportunity to install ball valves and work on those leaks.

Now, if I could just keep the leaves ON the trees and OUT of my pool....

+ Reply to Thread