+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will begin conversion-credit at pool store

Question Will begin conversion-credit at pool store

I am new to this forum and am going to do a BBB conversion soon. My pool store gave me a credit for a case of Baquacil ($122.00) so, I want to know if I can use the powdered chlorine to do my conversion. (I didn't see any liquid chlorine in the store.)
    I want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful information I have learned from this forum. Can't wait to have a clear pool again.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Will begin conversion-credit at pool store

What is the powdered chlorine - dichlor? Dichlor will raise your chlorine level which is what it takes to convert. However, it takes a lot of shocking to convert and dichlor will add cya. Over the week of conversion with all that you'll have to add, you may end up with a high cya level which you don't want. Or it may by cal-hypo which will add a lot of calcium. Both products have their place in pool maintenance, but for converting I think bleach is probably the best way to go because it won't add a bunch of other stuff. Others may have done it with powdered chlorine, but if it were my pool, I'd use bleach instead.

Thanks so much. I will use bleach. One more question, my local Home Depot(small town) has a bunch of liquid chlorine 10% on an outside garden center shelf that looks like it has been there for 3 yrs (bottles all dirty)- with local temps in the high 90's in the summer- will it still be good? It is $3 a gallon which seems like a good price considering the increase in bleach prices at the grocery store.
    My pool is starting to look a little green, my baquacil level is down to about 20-25, so I will start my conversion today. Thanks again for the help. Oh- Ordered my test kit from Ben, but will make do with test strips until it is delivered.
    Last edited by LindaE; 07-25-2006 at 10:11 AM.

I just converted my pool a couple of weeks ago and from what I've read on here, even though it says the concentration is that high many times it isn't especially if it has been on the shelf for a while.
    In my area, K-Mart had there brand of bleach on sale for $1 for a 3 quart bottle and also the Kroger in my area has 4 3quart on sale for $5.00 (both 6 %).
    It took much more bleach than I thought it would, but it has really been worth it. By the way, I think it was late in day 2 or early in day 3 or my conversion when I really started to question what I was doing....but I promise it is worth it and it is worth all the trips to the store for bleach.
    Also, if you have an above ground pool, remove your steps at some point, when I pulled mine out I had a lot of baqa goo underneath them.
    Good Luck and you will be so glad that you did this!!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread