+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Success with Baquacil so far

Hybrid View

Smile Success with Baquacil so far

I'm sure that I'll have lots of folks telling me I'm wrong on this - but I chose to stick with Baquacil because I didn't want to manage it so carefully (my wife doesn't want to have to deal with it, and I'm travelling a lot).

This is my 4th season with Baquacil in a 17.5K gal pool. Over that time, I've been reasonably successful with only two major problems:
    1) started when I accidentally sucked a rag into the pump and didn't realize it for several days, developed water mold (white milky appearance), couldn't see the bottom of the pool.
    2) around 1 year later, I developed water mold, couldn't see the bottom of the pool.

One standard symptom of water mold that I experienced is that you can't keep any level of hydrogen peroxide for long.

Both times, I resolved the problem by replacing the sand in the filter (had lots of strings of growth of this bioslime water mold stuff growing through the sand), keeping the shock level around 100, and treating the the filter through the skimmer with around 8-12 oz of floc.

Also, I tend to put the pool to bed at the end of the season with a high level of hydrogen peroxide (150-250ppm) -- this works out as a happy pool with clear water when I take off the cover in the springtime... after I drain approximately 20% of the water, which does give me some water change each year.

This year, when I picked up my supplies, they "gave" me a "free" bottle of sand filter cleaner; I said "what is this for?". Apparently, Baquacil is trying to get people to start cleaning the sand to head off the kinds of complaints that I've seen posted here. As I pondered this, it finally sank in that the dealer had told me all along to change my sand at least two times a season -- which, of course, solves the problem in a different way. This stuff apparently eats / dissolves this crud in the filter through strong acid action; you then flush out the acid onto the ground somewhere where you have put baking soda to neutralize the acid. Which means that I don't have to pull apart my filter and figure out how to get the sand out more than every couple or three years. Worth a try.

SO for the next couple of seasons, I'm going to use the following protocol:

1) keep the water chemistry in shape (check weekly, or after major storms that dump several inches of water).
    2) keep the sanitizer, algecide and shock levels in line.
    3) clean the sand filter chemically about every 6 weeks of operation;
    4) raise the shock level to 150-250 before closing for the winter.

Currently, I'm using the Taylor Biguanide and Hydrogen Peroxide Test Kit (K-1725) along with the dealer's water testing.

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Success with Baquacil so far

Baq,
    Glad it's working out for you so far.

One alternative you might consider is a saltwater chlorinator. It would probably save you money over Baquacil (probably not the case for a bleach user considering an SWG) and would certainly save you time and effort.

baq,

Welcome to the forum! That is great and I seriously doubt anyone will tell you that you are wrong in using Baquacil. While most of us here are on or have switched to chlorine, most can and respect your decision to stay with the baq. However, the limited experience I have with Baquacil tells me you are definately misinformed when you say "I chose to stick with Baquacil because I didn't want to manage it so carefully" as this is most certainly not the case. I assure you it is far easier and cheaper to use chlorine yet I understand most peoples reasoning for initially wanting the Baquacil. Stick around and maybe you can help others who need help in operating a successful Baquacil pool.

Dave

I had baq for 4 years and changed my sand every year and used the sand filter cleaner midway through each season. I dont know where water mold comes form but I dont have to worry about it anymore. I also dont have to double shock my 27 ag pool at the rate of 75 bucks every 3 weeks either.

I watched it like a hawk, always had the proper levels of chemicals and grew more and more frustrated each year and thats how I found this site just over a week ago. My conversion is complete and couldnt be happier.

I think that if you are to sensitive to chlorine its the only way to go. Put you will pay extra for that comfort.

Good Luck
    Chris

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

A lot of people are happy with baq for the first few seasons and then they begin to have major problems which equate to major $$$. I hope you have continued success with it.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

There is nothing I hate worse than someone telling something I'm doing can't possibly be working when it is, or that I GOTTA switch to whatever they are selling.

Annoys the heck out of me.

If you've got Bacquacil licked and are happy with it and your pool is clean and sanitary, then don't let ANYONE tell you that you have to change. Enjoy.

But on the other hand you should know that using the methods of pool care advocated here, you won't do much work either. My fellow mods, Poconos and Watermom were over on Sunday and they can tell you that my pool is crystal clear and the water is clean. And I do VERY little work. I spend lots more time writing about pool care than I spend doing it.

But as long as you've got your pool the way you like it, go with it!
    Carl

ILHoz Guest

I have just made the switch from baqua to chlorine. We were very happy with Baqua for a couple of years. then we started battling white mold and spending a lot of money. From all of the information I can find white mold is enviromental which means we would continue to battle this problem spending $$$ and not being able to use our pool. We choose chlorine, If Baqua is working for you, thats great continue to use it and be happy. With Baqua we were not happy!
    Leslie

+ Reply to Thread