Closed Thread

Thread: Insufficient flow problems with Autopilot and Solars

Default Insufficient flow problems with Autopilot and Solars

I have a 28' AG pool with 2 speed pump and Autopilot installed. I also have solar panels, 8'x20' on the West and 8'x20' on the East side of my roof. when the pump is on high I have no problems running through the solar panels and the Autopilot functions properly. when the pump is on low and the flow is going through the solar panels, the autopilot displays a message of "check Flow" . If I shut the panels off, by-pass them, when the pump is on low speed the Autopilot functions normally. So I can only conclude that my pump on low speed is not forcing enough water through the solar panels to meet the minumun required by the Autopilot to function???

My question is if anyone else has run into this problem and what is the best fix for it. Should I just program the Autopilot to a one speed pump and let it run on high speed for a shorter period of time through the day? My concerns would be to try and find the most energy efficient way of solving this problem.

I also have installed pressure gauges on the solar panels. When the pump is on low speed I have 6 lbs of pressure going through, on high speed it increases to 10 lbs of pressure.

Thanks,
    Keith

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Insufficient flow problems with Autopilot and Solars

Hi Keith,
    6lbs of pressure at the panels is really low, 10 is much better, I can see why your autopilot system won't work.
    Now, I wonder if you could do the following:
    When your autopilot system kicks in, have a relay activate to automatically switch your pump to high speed, once it deactivates, the relay should also deactivate and your pump should switch to low. This would involve a minimal amount of wiring and a maximum of 3 relays, and should be doable without any type of logic circuit involved, you would just have to find something on the autopilot to work as your remote trigger.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Insufficient flow problems with Autopilot and Solars

Another option may be to divert part of the water to the panels instead of all. I'm assuming the autopilot is before the panels. Divert enough water to keep the autopilot happy. This would cut flow resistance after the autopilot and still give you some flow through the panels. Not optimum for the panels but should be good enough.
    Al

Closed Thread