+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heat pump vs Propane Heater

Default Re: Heat pump vs Propane Heater

Al, oddly enough, the Northeastern US happens to be our second largest area of Heat Pump penetration! We realize that homeowners are not looking to keep their pools opened all year around. Rather, they are simply looking to extend the swim season, and to be able to be the FIRST to open their pools, and the LAST to winterize it. This comes out to about March/April through Sept/October.
    All heaters loose efficiency when the temps are cooler. Most standard heat pumps will shut down when the air temps fall into the low 60's because of ice build up on the evaporator coil. Hot Gas Defrost options will melt the ice and allow the heat pump to continue working down into the 20's and 30's...albeit, at a lower efficiency. I would admit though, not too many people will be using their pools or spas when it's that cold. AND if you do want your pool/spa heated at those temps, I will cede that chore to a gas heater!

When you maintain your water temperature, the amount of heat lost overnight mostly to evaporation will depend on if you use a solar cover (20% heat loss), liquid blanket (30 - 35% heat loss), or no cover (50% heat loss).
    Basically, a heat pump that is allowed to maintain a temperature (as opposed to heating on demand) has less work to do. Although the same heat loss and recovery statement is true with a gas heater, it is just so much more expensive to maintain heat, therefore the task of the gas heater is not commonly left on to maintain heat.
    So, it is asked to increase the temps from a lower water temperature, in a quicker time frame. This is the environment for a gas heater (IMO). Perfect for spas and a pool that is not used frequently when it starts to cool off.
    The Heat Pump, again, allows you to maintain the heat, efficiently, so that the pool is always ready to use. No more waiting for it to heat up and watching that gas meter just spinning away!
    (sorry for the sales pitch).
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you have the space, do solar AND a heat pump/gas heater. With the solar heat, and a solar blanket, you should be able to go all summer and a little beyond--in both spring and fall, with zero operating costs. Solar DOES work, but only when the sun shines. The blanket (I prefer clear thicker ones) acts like a greenhouse.

Personally, if you have access to natural gas, rather than propane, that's a far cheaper choice. If you are talking a grill, the cost of plumbing NG doesn't pay in savings over propane. But in a 400K BTU heater, the cost savings are substantial.

Yet, despite that, if you are talking temp maintenance, you are best to go with a heat pump--it will still be cheaper than the NG, much less the propane. Combine it with solar and a blanket and you'll have a nice, extended season.

I just have a personal bias against gas heating--it seems there are SO many ways to recover heat cheaper and more environmentally friendly. I live in N-Central NJ and I have NO trouble keeping my pool between 85 and 95 solely with solar and a solar blanket.
    Carl

mmcguire,
    IMO, with a pool/spa you'd be best served with a gas fired 400K heater if you want a quick heating spa. If you feel that the luxury of waiting time is on your side go for the defrosting heat pump.
    Solar heating and blankets do wonders on keeping and slightly escalating pool temps, but don't help on your spa.
    If you feel it's in your budget step up to a combo set up with both a gas fired heater and a heat pump. it allows you the best of both.
    I have a rather large pool and use the combo setup. I can begin my season earlier and extend it later with my heat pumps and heat my spa rapidly with the propane fired heaters.

Thanks for supporting the industry with your new pool purchase, you'll soon find out what all the hoopla of pool ownership is all about. I promise you, having a pool at home is the best thing since sliced bread!!!

See Ya,
    Kelly

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

By the way I live in South Eastern PA and have been happy with the heatpump. Pool is kept 80-85 degrees and on average it uses less than $150/month for the pool pump and heat pump to run.
    Nice to see you back Huskey missed your posts for a while.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hey, Kelly,
    Long time--nice to see you back!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread