+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting from Natures 2 to Bleach, Borax & Baking Soda

Default Converting from Natures 2 to Bleach, Borax & Baking Soda

Hello! My name is Mike and I recently had a 21 foot round above ground pool installed. Upon set up of the pool I was given my first batch of chemicals which was very costly and instructions on the Natures 2. After talking to a friend who uses the Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda as their pool maintenance, we are interested in coverting to the grocery store method. My question is...How do I convert to this system and get rid of the Natures 2? From reading on this site it is my understanding that you can't use the Natures 2 along with the grocery store method. Can I just take off the Natures 2 system and start using the grocery store method or do I have to wait? Thanks for any help. I am new to this whole pool experience so any help is greatly appreciated. We have a cartridge filter if that makes any difference.

Default Re: Converting from Natures 2 to Bleach, Borax & Baking Soda

I have the N2 and use the grocery store method. No problems here at all. I bought the new cartridge this spring and had it hooked up, then started to care for the pool. My wife did it previously to that and just did whatever the store told her to. Well, I finally wanted to learn, so I found this most awesome site, and have never looked back. But I do have the N2, next year I won't replace it, I will be using the spot it used to occupy to put in a DE filter so I can valve between the sand and the DE and have the best of both of those worlds.

If you have the N2 and it is hooked up, then just leave it, it does not hurt anything that I can see. I think that the thing is that with proper maintanance you just don't need it, that is the thing.

I did some research in to the N2 system. I don’t feel it would hurt to leave in for the season but I wouldn’t be out the cost of replacement for next year. I would pull the cartage at the end of the season. I pulled mine and tossed it after about a month but that was a personal decision. The system will work with the N2 in place but I wouldn’t use the 0.5 ppm chlorine level suggested but Zodiac. I would follow Bens best guess chart for chlorine level. I would be cautious if you have already have metals in your water. I would also caution use of any copper based algaecide. The main thing I would follow the advice of the pros here they do know their stuff.
    Steve

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

No problems using N2 with bbb, although, I highly recommend tossing it after this season since it is a big cash grab, using the bbb method, you will spend 50% of what a cartrige costs over 1 season, and that does not include the other chemicals you would still need to use along side the N2.
    N2 is really just supposed to let you run your pool on lower chlorine levels by using silver and copper as an anti algae supplement, but for what it costs, it's just not worth it.

+ Reply to Thread