+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ever hear of salt corroding pool parts & heater?

mida68 is offline ** No working email address ** mida68 0

Default Ever hear of salt corroding pool parts & heater?

I am embarking on building our first pool. I have called in 5 different pool builders and one is telling me that he can install SWG but is adamant that he would never use it in his pool, the owner of the company uses "di-chlor" and that we'd have a ruined heater in 3 years.

He's telling me that since SWG are relatively new, or new "again", that people are not yet aware that they will have trouble with heater and metal pool parts erosion. He went as far as to bring an article for someone selling parts for skimmers that do not erode "great for salt systems".

He's so adamant I can't figure what he has to gain by dissuading me from SWG but I'm wondering why the other 4 builders say salt is fine if maintained properly.

Any ideas on what all this "corrosion" talk is about, I can't find anyone complaining about a SWG, especially an "automatic" one by Jandy that will cause all this corrosion.

Thanks!!

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: Ever hear of salt corroding pool parts & heater?

I think that he gave you a "i'm not going to take a chance of getting sued for my advice" answer. speaking of jandy, i am getting a jandy lite 2 heater next week and they have a version for "salt" pools with the enhanced burner and stuff that is supposed to be salt resistant. i emailed jandy and asked specifically if:

a) i required that burner etc for a pool with a SWG.

b) would it validate my warranty in anyway to use an SWG with the stock heater.

they promptly responded to say that the salt levels with an SWG are not high enough to cause any issues and the stock heater was fine in all regards. that would say to me that a stock heater is about as suspectible to corrosion from other chemicals as it is with an SWG. i think the main thing for all pool equipment that could corrode is proper chemical monitoring and balance..period.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Since SWGs have been used in Austrailia for about 30 years now I would not say that they are 'new'. I don't know what he is talking about with skimmers that 'do not erode'. All the modern skimmers I have seen are made of plastic with stainless steel screws. Something is not right with this builder...I would run and not walk away.....just my 2 cents.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I Emailed Sta-Rite regarding my new heater and they told me as long as the salt concentration stays below 3500ppm it would be fine.

mida68 is offline ** No working email address ** mida68 0

Thanks, I appreciate the advice being a newbie, I have no idea "what's what" with the hundreds of factors that go into building a pool.

+ Reply to Thread