Just in case this happens to someone else, thought I would post it so they can find the info without Googling forever or freaking out thinking the pump is ruined or something.

We had a power outage this morning, I believe a transformer blew down the road from us (we are rural.) Anyway, it went on, then off, then on, then off for about 4 hours. So I during one of these on/off cycles (off) I ran out and flipped off the pump so it would not get damage when the power came back on. I think it was too late, it must have had a surge. When the power came back on, the pump would not come on. We checked the GFI, all the breakers, etc. and even plugged something else into that GFI - it was the pump. OMG - we just got this pool in May! The paperwork that came with it had nothing in there on what to do if this thing gets a surge or whatever, it really has more troubleshooting info on the filter instead of the pump. 22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter with 1.5 hp Dynamo pump. Pool companies do NOT normally carry very specific technical info on these I guess, if its part of a pump filter package. Pumps are part of a general electric motor group of equipment that you have to check on separately or something....So I looked hard at the pump and Googled A.O. Smith, Century Pool and Spa Motors (which you have look hard at the small print on the pump to find) - We found their motor manual online with great info.

LONG STORY SHORT- I wondered if the thing had an "Auto Reset Overload Protection" built into it, because that happened once with an electric water heater we had; what a good hunch!!! YES IT DOES AND SO DO A LOT OF OTHER BRANDS OF PUMPS. So if it gets too hot or gets a voltage surge, it will shut down and will not restart until the motor is completely cooled down. Depending on ambient air temps, this could be quickly or take a long time (hours) if the pump is in the sun. We shaded it and put a fan on it, then it turned right back on and runs fine.

I was at my wits end thinking my pump was fried from the power surge - swearing at everyone, throwing stuff, all the kinds of things my DH usually does. Then when I was more myself, I did what I should have done FIRST, looked it up for peace of mind, because I have no patience. Man, you can find almost anything online. I downloaded the manual for future reference.