Closed Thread

Thread: concrete deck depth

Default concrete deck depth

I am curious what people here feel is an appropriate depth for the concrete surrounding my new inground pool. I understand that more is probably better, but I would like to know what is a reasonable depth. By the way I live in south-west Ontario in Canada where we have hot summers and cold winters if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Default Re: concrete deck depth

I would not see what the hot summers would have to do with it, but the cold winter, with frost heave and stuff would. I would probably go with six inches with mesh in the concrete. At the very least, four inches with mesh, but I feel that that would be more likely to crack, although the mesh helps alot.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: concrete deck depth

well, i'm in southern alberta and aside from not as much humidity as you have, the temps are relatively similar. my concrete deck which completely surrounds my inground pool is approx 5 inches deep. it's a vinyl liner pool that was put in back about 23 years ago and aside from 5 or 6 hairline cracks, it has no heaving, no separation from the coping. it's done very well considering my garage floor and corner pillars on one side sunk 4 inches since the house was built due to heavy rains in june that really compact the soil. the concrete deck ranges from 3 ft around most of the pool to a very wide "path" that comes to the back of the house about 15 ft away. the entire deck has large slate type stones embedded in the concrete. the vinyl surface has retained it's integrity in spite of settling and movement i would have to guess. not sure what material is used for the retaining walls behind the liner as i wasn't here when the pool was built. i had a small tear i repaired a few weeks ago and i tried to get a sense of what the surface behind was. i've always thought it was compacted sand or dirt..it was darn hard, that's for sure..bent the tip of a knife poking it, even with water against it (underwater tear about 3 inches long)

Closed Thread