+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy water on Clear Comfort

Question Cloudy water on Clear Comfort

So.... frustrated! Had an 24'above ground for 8 yrs.-first on baquacil and then to clear comfort. this year new in ground-19,000 gallon water-still on clear comfort. before if I ever had cloudy water-I got it cleared up in a day or 2. Now my brand new in ground pool-been in 5 weeks and has been cloudy the last 2 weeks and cannot get it to clear up, don't know what to do-HELP!. First the ph was too low so pool store gave me ph up -got the ph up and then still cloudy and couldn't keep the clarifier level up., so I continued to add 5 gallon of clarifier and still no level of clarifier was showing up on test strips-so the pool store said to focculant-did that-no help-store tested water again and said some copper in water-added 7 oz. of stain guard as directed-then added more sanitizer and clarifier-still cloudy-getting very upset-back to pool store-tested water-all levels are ok but clarifier was not staying in water--called tech lab from pool store-they suggested 2 quarts of stain guard-circulate 24 hours and then they said 6 gallon of clarifier-wow-did that waited 48 hours-no change-added filter cleaner to sand filter-waited 24 hours-back wash-still cloudy but at least now the clarifier level is back up--no sign of algae anywhere-very upset-back to pool store-they said drain pool and start over with chlorine-yikes!Now what!! Came home and found this forum-so help me please-do you think I should drain and put new sand in filter and start over with chlorine and give up on clear comfort-in the past never a problem with there product-now this brand new in ground and I am hating my new pool-or do i need to give it one more week and see if it clears up? I was never offered to use chlorine in the pool to ever start with-but clear comfort is costing a fortune-HELP!!!!!!!I am so confused and upset-my new pool is beautiful but ugly at the same time with this cloudy water!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Cloudy water on Clear Comfort

Both Baquacil and Clear Comfort are biguinide based sanitation systems. The problems you describe are commen with biguinde as is the money you are throwing away trying to fix them. I suggest you read the posts in the PHMB section of the forum for how to convert your pool to clorine without draining and refilling. You might want to start a thread in that section for advice before you start. You will love your pool again and love how much money you save once you convert and use the methods on this fourm!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Bacquacil is SATAN..it must die.

I poured in over $400 in chemicals to my pool when I moved in
    last summer...and had one clear pool day from end of June through
    end of August...not much of a bargain.

I switched over to chlorine and pool is 10 times better. I still haven't
    quite gotten the chemicals at the right levels but at least I can tell
    where they need to be now. Better yet, I think we have spent less than
    $100 on chemicals so far this summer!

I must say though, I went to Leslies Pool for advice on switching over
    and their advice was right on the money.
    Mariza
    IG plaster 22000 gallons

Is it better to drain the pool and start from new water or to convert to chlorine using the same cloudy water that is full of clear comfort?!

duraleigh Guest

Is it better to drain the pool and start from new water or to convert to chlorine using the same cloudy water that is full of clear comfort?!
    Good question. Certainly less hassle to drain the pool. HOWEVER, If you have a vinyl lined pool, that won't work....they should not be fully drained. Gunite can be but 19k is a lot of water.

Generally, your best course will probably be to convert. Lots of folks have done it on the forum and there's plenty of good threads to follow. It seems the only converters who get into trouble are those that try to combine pool store advice with the advice on the forum. Depending on the store, you may get good advice and you may get something absurd. The advice here is solid and consistent.

The pool supply store that put the pool in said they would come and drain it and put the vacs back in and it could be drained in 45 minutes and then I could start refilling(24 hours) because yes I do have a vinyl pool. I would also think there would have to be new sand in the filter and all the hoses and pipes flushed out-am I correct? thanks for advice!

duraleigh Guest

If they are willing to drain and help you start refill, that's a good idea. So is changing the sand in the filter. Flushing pipes would not be necessary.

By far, the best money you will spend is to order Ben's test kit NOW if you're planning on this. You will then be speaking the same language as the rest of us and your test results will be accurate.....important items in keeping your pool clear for years to come.

+ Reply to Thread