Closed Thread

Thread: galvanized steel vs. stainless steel

Hybrid View

Default galvanized steel vs. stainless steel

I was looking into an inground pool. The estimates we have include galvanized steel wall with a zinc coating. My in-laws have an inground pool that is 23 years old. They told me their pool had stainless steel walls instead of galvanized steel. Is there a difference? They have vinyl liner, he did say the stainless steel walls were more money. Would it be worth the money if the upgrade is available?

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: galvanized steel vs. stainless steel

I don't know if it is worth the extra money, I guess it depends on the difference in price, but I just wanted to tell you that I have a friend with an IG that has galvanized walls, the pool is 35 years old and still no sign of problems with the walls (or anything else for that matter).

Yes, there is a difference. How big a difference depends on the grade of Stainless Steel. When I was pricing vinyl pools, I noticed that the Stainless Steel every one was quoting was in the general type 304 (Some were 302, 304L etc.-all in the 18-8 series) which is moderately resistant to corrosion yet the price was almost double the price of the galvanized. Type 304 can and will rust over a period of time if exposed to chlorine, salt and/or water. The price increase may have been reasonable if it was Type 316 stainless (aka marine stainless) however it may be a little overkill. Galvanized panels will most definitely rust over a period of time, especially if exposed to chlorine, salt and/or water.
    The question you must answer is "How long will I live here?" IMHO, I would go with the Galvanized since I don't think they would never rust completely through jeopardizing the structural integrity of the panels especially since the grade of stainless is not that much more resistant to corrosion compared to the increase in price. I'd bet that in twenty three years under normal circumstances, the galvanized panels would be fine.

Dave

Thanks. The booklet says
    "Pools are constructed using heavy gauge steel covered with twice as much protective coating as commercial grades (G-235)." Is this the grade steel being used?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-NJ
    Thanks. The booklet says
    "Pools are constructed using heavy gauge steel covered with twice as much protective coating as commercial grades (G-235)." Is this the grade steel being used?
    G-235 is the weight of the zinc rich coating that is applied during the galvanizing process. It is about the best IMHO. Just to compare, it is the specification that most State DOT's spec for the light post and interstate signs you see. I would go with it and forget the stainless.

Dave

Thanks Dave!!

What about the aluminum walls that I have seen some places sale?

Quote Originally Posted by thewayne
    What about the aluminum walls that I have seen some places sale?
    Aluminum does not rust, is stronger than steel by weight so it will have to have slightly thicker walls to achieve the same strength as its steel counterpart but would be lighter in the end. It is more expensive pound for pound than steel. It will still corrode from salts, chemicals (chlorine) and stray electrical currents. In my limited experience while shopping around, I never saw aluminum as an option for an inground pool. I still think galvanized would be the way to go.

Dave

Closed Thread