+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controlling a two-speed pump

Default Controlling a two-speed pump

I see many folks on the forums are using two-speed pumps. I just bought a two-speed motor to replace my dying one-speed and now need to figure out how to control it. My intent is to run the low-speed either 24x7 or preferably on a timer and just use the hi-speed for backwashing and cleaning. My current one-speed pump is connected to an Intermatic T104P3 timer so I could use this for the low-speed timer but I'd still need another control to set the motor to hi-speed. Any recommendations on what to use to control a 230V two-speed pump?

Thanks!

New motor is an AO Smith SQS1102R - 1HP 230V.
    18K gallon free-form gunite pool, Sta-Rite S7D75 DE filter, 2-speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG, Heat Siphon SX3.25 heat pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Default Re: Controlling a two-speed pump

Most 2 speed pumps can be wired with a simple toggle switch on the motor end that switches between high and low. I have that set up and it works well. I only use high for backwashing, priming, and when the pool is really dirty after opening.

I forgot to mention I have an intermatic 220V timer in my pool subpanel. Here is the page for intermatic http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=168 They do show a 2 speed timer

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

My 2-speed pump had the toggle switch on the motor, but the electrician that installed it wired it to a 2 speed intermatic timer. One timer turns the pump on and off, and the other timer switches between low speed and high. I run mine on low 24/7, bump it to high for a few hours of the day to run in-floor cleaning, when I'm most likely to add acid or when the kids are likely to want the sheer decent on.

I bought a bunch of timer trips, I store the extra on trips on the on/off timer and the extra off trips on the high/low timer between cycles.

OK, this makes sense. My T104 should work fine - all I need to do is install a switch to control the hi-low speed of the motor. MarkC - any suggestions for a switch to use? Obviously it'll need to be weather-proof. I'll start doing some Googling as well. Thanks all!
    18K gallon free-form gunite pool, Sta-Rite S7D75 DE filter, 2-speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG, Heat Siphon SX3.25 heat pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic

I googled and could not find any good wiring diagrams for how the 2 speed pump switch is wired. Mine is a toggle with a waterproof boot on it to keep it dry (the boot cracked after a few years in the sun). Look under the wiring access plate on the motor for the schematic for your pump.

Thanks. This URL shows how to wire a two-speed timer - [ DEAD LINK DELETED - POOLDOC ] . I ordered a marine-grade, high-amp toggle switch & boot that should be arriving any day. I'll either need to drill a hole in the rear cover plate on the motor or wire it remotely somewhere, perhaps in the timer box. Wiring appears to be straight-forward: one 110V leg to the common terminal and the other 110V leg through the switch to either the high-speed terminal or the low-speed terminal.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-29-2018 at 06:19 PM.

I just wanted to follow-up on this thread. My new two-speed motor is in! I decided to just drill a hole in the motor cover plate and install the switch there since I won't be changing speeds very often - only for cleaning. Wiring was a piece of cake and everything worked fine on the first try (left me a bit suspicious)! Thanks all!

+ Reply to Thread