+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris 280 Service

Question Polaris 280 Service

My Polaris isn't moving around my pool like it used to, and I'm wondering if I need to have it serviced. It's 5 years old.

I see that I can buy a brand new one on eBay for < $400. I'm thinking that service may be almost half that, so I'm leaning towards buying new.

How much should I expect to pay for service?

My Polaris ATV is not up to it's first birthday yet. One day in Sept I found it trying to dig it's way thru the liner and clicking. Took it to the dealer twice and it came back the same way. Do'nt think I'm going to bother with a third try. Thinking hard about a Dolphin. Looking for to not having to shut down the pump after the Polaris is done. Like the self contained bag idea.

Default Re: Polaris 280 Service

Polaris says that the average cleaner like yours (any of the x80 series), running 3 hours a day, travels about 2500 miles a year in the pool. So, yours has gone about 12,500 miles in its life so far. It may be time for a little service. However, a Polaris that is not moving like it used to could be as simple as having a blocked screen in the wall fitting or a filter that is dirty and the booster pump is not receiving enough water or the booster pump itself is damaged or clogged. It needs to be checked by a service person familiar with them who has kept up with Polaris' service procedures.

My last Polaris, a 180, lasted over 16 years in my pool with very minimal service. It finally completely broke, the frame actually broke, and I put in a 280 just 3 days ago. I expect similar service from it. It is the only pressure-side booster-pump operated cleaner I recommend or sell even though some will say that that is a narrow view. I like to sell and install what I know I won't have to come back on for a very long time.

Default Re: Polaris 280 Service

Quote Originally Posted by vgg659a
    My Polaris isn't moving around my pool like it used to, and I'm wondering if I need to have it serviced. It's 5 years old.

I see that I can buy a brand new one on eBay for < $400. I'm thinking that service may be almost half that, so I'm leaning towards buying new.

How much should I expect to pay for service?

I've got a 380 and have had similar problems. One time it was the belts that were slipping and worn. If you are fairly carefull with details you can buy the belts on the net for about $30 I think and replace them yourself it is not that hard.

The other thing I have noticed is that when the water is very cold, i.e. under 60 degrees she does not want to move to well and I think it is because the hoses are not flexible when cold. Once the pool heated up above 72 degrees she is moving like a charm.

Thumbs up Re: Polaris 280 Service

>> If you are fairly carefull with details ...

You've talked me into it. I am somewhat mechanical, so I'll give it a try.

>> The other thing I have noticed is that when the water is very cold, i.e. under 60 degrees she does not want to move to well and I think it is because the hoses are not flexible when cold. Once the pool heated up above 72 degrees she is moving like a charm.

I agree, but cold/cool water is not my problem now. Living in South Louisiana, my pool water is 85 F today. The past two days, we have reach 92 F air temps. Boy, it's going to be a hot dry summer, and a nasty hurricane season.

+ Reply to Thread