+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar heating in winter in Socal?

noworries is offline ** No working email address ** noworries 0

Default Solar heating in winter in Socal?

I asked a pool guy about solar heating my pool--with the idea it would stay warm all year long. He said in the winter time it won't keep it heated. Does anyone in socal or a similar climate have any more info on winter performance? My pool get's plenty warm in the summertime (it's 86 now)--so if it won't heat it in winter I'll have to look at another option.

mkelley is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mkelley 0

Default Re: Solar heating in winter in Socal?

You don't say *exactly* where in S. Cal, but here are the numbers for San Diego and then lower down a link to numbers for Los Angeles:

http://www.powermat.com/sizing.html

I think you can see that you won't be swimming in the winter with solar alone -- drop off (even with cover) means no swimming past October. Solar will add swimming for you in the 80's from March through October (which I doubt you are getting now -- just about any pool in the country can be in the 80's during July and August <g>) so it is effective, just not a miracle cure.

Or you can go with a heat pump -- it will cost more to operate than Solar (which is "free" once installed) won't last as long (typical life is 5-10 years versus 10-20 years for solar) but can heat your pool as long as the outside temps are above 45.
    Last edited by mkelley; 07-20-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Well, I lived in San Diego for years and my brother stills lives there, with a pool with solar. They swim year round, using the heater only to heat the spa, which spills into the pool. I would guess that you could easily swim into late november with 100% solar alone (assuming good S, SW placement) and probably longer if you had more. If you covered every night, I am pretty sure you could maintain your pool in the 70's year round with 100% coverage.

I currently live in NY, and we were able to heat our pool into the 80's into late October last year (until we had 2 straight weeks of rain, then we packed it in). And we opened in early April and had it to 85 within weeks. That is with about 55% coverage.

So, I would say you could swim 9 months or so a year comfortably in San Diego with 100% coverage. LA too. Further north, not sure.

Last edited by pj1016; 07-20-2006 at 02:49 PM.

noworries is offline ** No working email address ** noworries 0

Can you run a heat pump off 110? My problem is running 220 or gas to where my pool equipment is would be very expensive.

+ Reply to Thread