+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oval Pool Installation

Default Oval Pool Installation

Hi, I remembered to take my camera to work with me today. We installed an 18' x 33' Gilbralter, Cantar sold by Leslies. I started taking photos after the grass was removed and the ground completely level. The first photo shows the massive strength of the buttress free design. An extremely heavy U-channel is used for both the vertical and and horizontal brace supports. My wife had made the comment to the customer about each assembly being so heavy it took two men and an ape just to move them. As I was carrying one to the pool area I asked where my two men helpers were. They are heavy.

The next two photos are the brace assemblies installed. I start by laying the entire brace system out on top of the ground. I then mark where the trenches will go and move everything out of the way. When the trenches are dug I set a 12" patio block in the rear. At this point I use a laser level and level the trench and the block. The brace channel measures 3". If the ground you leveled reads a 6 on the level stick the trenches and blocks should be set at a 9. When the trenches are all level the braces can be set back into place. I recheck all the all measurements to make sure the assembly is square. I then recheck the level at the front and rear of the channel. This time I measure from the top of the channel, ground level, so my number would be 6.

The next photo shows the pool ready for sand. The end footplates have been leveled and the ground treated with grass killer.

We have moved about 7 tons of sand and started to unroll the side wall.

Here you can see the interlocking rods getting installed and taped. They keep the wall from blowing over and also allow an adequate structure to stretch the liner over.

Here the wall has been installed and a lot of duck tape used to hold the wall tight to the side braces and to protect the liner from getting torn by the braces.

In this pic the sand has been spread and smoothed. I do my final smoothing with a soft push broom. Once I climb out of the pool I do not get back in to install the liner. The sand base on this pool will always stay this smooth, or close to it.

We install the liner from the outside of the pool. We pull it over the rods to where the bottom is perfectly smooth and the overhang on the outside is the same all the way around.

After a long day the pool is done. Although this photo does not show it, the steel side brace uprights have been capped with the same uprights that are used on the ends.

There are many correct ways to build a pool. This is just my way. I hope it will give you some ideas for your own install. It is impossible to go into every detail without writing a book. There are also many different makes and models and they all install in there own unique way. But I hope this helps some.
    Later, Dennis
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-04-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: fix pics, picasa
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Oval Pool Installation

Nice work Dennis! Excellent writeup.

I love to look at photo journals of work completed. It gives me alot of added knowledge, which I seem to retain somehow, so someday I will help someone and I will remember alot of that, nice job.

I still can't even believe you did that all in one day. It took us 6 weeks. ROFL!!! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by hrsdennis
    The next photo shows the pool ready for sand. The end footplates have been leveled and the ground treated with grass killer.

Hey that's a great description and further ammo to get my husband to try and do this without a pro so I can get that bigger pool with the money saved!

I did have a question about what you said above. In particular the "treated with grass killer". We have this crazy patch of trees (I haven't been able to ID them) that grows just off of our property. It seems to have runner roots as little versions pop up all over our yard weekly. We just mow them down and they go away. None have ever grown up under stationary objects in the yard but the will grow very close to the edge of things. Do you think we need any extra protection under our pool then the usaul weed killer and landscaping about 3 feet around the edges? Should we put any landscaping cloth under the pool?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Once I get moving it is hard for me to stop and take photos. I am glad, however, that they could be of help.

Alysenlynn, In your situation I would use something under the sand. Your question is a very good one that I don't think has been dealt with before, at least not in a long while.

If I could get you to post that as a question in a new thread I would have more to add and I am sure you would get many more opinions and ideas from others.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Nice photos and description. It brought back nasty flashbacks for me, but then we were green and had to fill. level and compact the entire area before we even got as far as your starting point above so we were already neck deep in Hell before assembly.....

These kinds of posts should almost be stickied for the new people who come here next spring or whenever, hoping to find exactly what Dennis posted...a visual example of nearly what they will be doing. I had everyone's kind and repeated instructions and advise, but picture books are cool too!
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Quote Originally Posted by sevver
    I love to look at photo journals of work completed. It gives me alot of added knowledge, which I seem to retain somehow, so someday I will help someone and I will remember alot of that, nice job.
    And a "me too" from here. Excellent. Certain parts of pool construction are still a mystery to me since, well, I don't build pools. One mystery now solved was oval AG pools. The next is the variety of my own pool, an IG vinyl-lined. I'd love to see a how these are built (we got ours with the house).

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.

C.

Thanks ChuckD, I wish I had photos of some of the inground vinyl pools I have built. It's only been a handful but they are completely different than above grounds.

NWMNMom, I have been thinking along the same lines about a few stickies in this forum. I think it would be a great service for people searching for advice with their above ground pool problems. If the mods and the boss agree I would gladly offer my help. We will see what happens.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread