+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Algae gone-water still not clear

Default Algae gone-water still not clear

Thanks Everyone!!

I think I have finally gotten rid of algae. But still have some problems. Water is pretty color of blue but not clear. I am still keeping the chlorine level up--is it time to back down some? My test results are not too good. Use the drop test method
    TA-test only goes to 5/10 color is DARK orange
    Ph-7.5
    TA-160 (is this too high)
    Hardness- added 5 gtts water still clear-did not turn red
    CYA-120 (still a little high)
    Did drain 1/2 of pool water so CYA must have been really high before that(no more tablets for me--anyone know what to do with 25lbs of tablets????)
    What do I do now--how do I get clear water
    I have been using Best Guess CYA chart at shock level
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks
    Karen

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Algae gone-water still not clear

CYA of 120 is still way too high--you need to strongly consider another drain/refill. And with your Cl test, you need to try diluting your test sample with distilled water 1:1, read your result, then multiply by 2. If that's not high enough, you can dilute it 1:2 and multiply by 3. Either way, you need to make sure that you're still maintaining high enough chlorine levels for that high of a CYA level.

Are you still running your filter 24/7? What are you using for shock?

Janet

Thanks for answering me.

New test results:
    Chlorine: 10(had to dilute)
    Ph: 7.5
    TA: 130
    Cya: 130
    Yes we run our filter 24/7
    Sure hate to drain pool again but will if it is last resort.
    Chlorine seems to be holding at 10. Should I add more bleach. Right now that is all that I am using. Do I need to add anything else to the pool besides the bleach.

appreciate your help
    Karen

Forgot: still cannot get hardness to register. Does that mean way to high or low?

Quote Originally Posted by karenkr
    (no more tablets for me--anyone know what to do with 25lbs of tablets????)
    Hang on to those. You will still find occasion to use them: Long weekends or week-long vacations or times when you are not there to monitor your pool. Just store them somewhere relatively cool and dark, and they should last. I have a bucket that is on its fourth season.

As for your cloudiness, it ususally takes a few days or even a week after a heavy battle with algae to be crystal clear. Keep the filter going 24/7 and make sure you backwash when the pressure goes up. If you use clarifier, run the pump for a couple of hours after adding it, then turn off for 12 hours to let everything settle. Then you may need to vacuum the stuff up that settled. Make sure you use enough clarifier, but don't double-dose.

Stick to the advice you get here. These guys really know their stuff. Thanks to these guys, I've been running a clear pool for 5 years now.

Good luck,
    Andy

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If the cloudiness is dead algae, Andy is right on the money--give your filter some time to clear it. If you still have a green tint to the water, you need to shock it for a little longer--and with a CYA of 130, you need to go to 25 ppm. 10 ppm is only enough to maintain clear water after you get it cleared up.

Janet

I am going to add bleach tonight to bring the level up to shock again in case there is any lingering algae. The water is blue --with no signs of algae and the bottom is starting to re-appear.

If I add clairifier what kind can I add? I wondered about adding some but was afraid too without checking with you guys

Thanks
    Karen

drband is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst drband 0

What about adding a little DE (diatomaceous earth) to your sand filter? It can do the job of final filtering of that cloudy haze. (I'm guessing you have a sand filter.) See what some of the senior members think about this... the DE might really take care of this without adding clarifier, then when you backwash, you'll wash it all out of your filter, DE and all. (ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A SAND FILTER) By the way, there are several postings that explain how to do this correctly.

duraleigh Guest

Adding DE and/or clarifiers (or some other "magic" chemical) probably works well sometimes and sometimes not.

Most importantly, I think it tends to mask what was wrong with your pool to begin with.

If your filter won't clear your pool, it's not doing it's job.

If you have lingering algae conditions in your pool, DE or clarifier or anything other than CHLORINE (well, almost) will not remove those conditions.

The forum's philosophy has always been simplicity and I think you start to get away from that idea when you "trick up" your equipment or your chemistry.

For those of us that are long-term on this forum, have you noticed that CHLORINE seems to cure about 95% of pool water issues? It certainly seems that to me.

So, to Karen's issue, I think Janet and Andy's thoughts on continued use of CHLORINE will cure the pool. It is probably the one true "magic bullet".

drband is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst drband 0

Exactly right. I did not advocate doing this in place of holding the CL at shock level. My experience w/ my own sand filter is that DE sometimes makes it more efficient at filtering very fine particulates from the pool water.

Shock level CL is the key to getting rid of algae (killing it).

duraleigh Guest

Hi, DR,

Yeah, I understood what you were saying and my post was not intended as a criticism of yours....DE added to sand apparently has merit in some special situations.

My intent, rather, was to remind newbies and semi-newbies of the basics that work consistently. Exhaust the use of those basics (including POP) before heading to the pool store for the "magic" ingredient.

Some time ago, there was a poster here who had an algae bloom for around 45 days....due to improper use of chlorine.

Finally getting the chlorine up to the correct level, the poster simultaneously ran out of patience and bought clarifier. Pool cleared up and the poster was completely and totally convinced he/she had found the solution to algae......Clarifier!!!

+ Reply to Thread