+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baking Soda How To Add

Default Baking Soda How To Add

How do I add the baking soda to the pool?
    How much to add at a time?
    I need to add 10-12 pounds.

Default Re: Baking Soda How To Add

Disolve in a bucket of water, stir it up and dump it in front of the return jet. You need to raise the Ph right? Do you also need to raise the Alk? If not you should probably use Borax. Borax does not raise the Alk as much.

My ALK is 40ppm right now by adding 10-12 pounds it should raise it up to about 90ppm acording to this chart:http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/chem.htm#ta

I will do it like you said and let it run tonight, in the morning I will check the ALK and Ph and raise the PH then is that ok?

The thing is that by doing this you will also raise the Ph, probably alot, you should raise the Alk slowly.

Edit: After double checking you should add the solution to the skimmer, sorry I got cornfused.
    Last edited by sevver; 07-19-2006 at 08:00 PM.

duraleigh Guest

Without test results I'm just guessing you need to raise your pH, but assuming you do, raise your pH FIRST, then adjust your Alkalinity.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

duraleigh,
    Wouldn't you have to raise the alkalinity first with baking soda, this way you can see how high your ph went, then adjust the ph with borax? This way if the alkalinty is right, and your ph goes a little high, you can just lower it with a little acid. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still trying to get it all straight.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Marie,

I'm "pontificating" from memory so take all this with a grain of salt. I'm fairly sure Ben recommends pH adjustment first. If you do the Alk first, it makes it somewhat more difficult to adjust pH because of the increased buffering.

As you know, when one moves, the other typically moves with it so the recommendation to do it incrementally should be adhered to.

I have adjusted my water from 6.8pH and 30 Alk three times. Each time I was able to adjust the pH to 7.3 and then bring the Alk up (the next day) to 90. I saw no increase in pH with the Alk adjustment tho I know I should have. I can't explain why but that's the affect I got.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Thanks so much! I know there are strange ways to do the chemicals in pools that aren't always obvious. I will make note of this, and use this method in the future. That's why I love this forum!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread