+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool light seated properly in niche?

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

Default Pool light seated properly in niche?

My pool sweep is out of service so I have been manually vacuuming my pool. I ran my vacuum over my pool light and it pulled out (oops!). I quickly pushed it back in but I do have a couple of questions.

1) Should that have happened so easily?
    2) Is there anything I need to do to secure the light at this point? It seems to stay in pretty well but it is not flush.

My pool is an IG gunnite, as you can see from my signature.
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: Pool light seated properly in niche?

is there a hole or holes for screws? my pool light, which is older, uses one screw to anchor at the top..otherwise, water pressure seems to hold the bottom in. maybe you have my situation which is the pool yokels used a non stainless steel screw when they put it back in this year (they take it out, put on my deck and cover over the winter). the screw completely rusted out. i would imagine you'd see some rust staining if that was the case though?

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

We don't winterize around here. I will check for the screw on top. It only pivoted out along the bottom. If it is holding well with water pressure, what does it really matter anyway?
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

i have gone a month without replacing mine and it's been fine..i guess my only concern is mine anyway could get knocked out by one of the kids and dangle..maybe potentially yank loose? i don't think it's super safe i guess

The pool light needs to be properly attached with the screw into the niche. This is a part of the bonding (safety) system for all lights. There should be a threaded hole near the top of the niche for the screw and a spot for the hook on the light to catch near the bottom. Water pressure DOES NOT hold them in. The screws are called "pilot" screws. If you don't have one, get it at a pool supply, not a hardware store. It must be stainless steel or brass.

+ Reply to Thread