Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experts, I Need Help w/ First Pool Purchase

Question Experts, I Need Help w/ First Pool Purchase

Hi, I really enjoy this forum. My first post and pool - so I am nervous. Actually, I accidentially deleted first post. So, here I go, again. Please advise and comment on this proposed pool job:
    Hydra Brand 28,000 gal, 40'6" x 20'6", grecian style w/polymer walls, vinyl liner (20 mil)3'-8' deep, full 5ft concrete deck
    1 hp Haywood Super Pump w/ 24" 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, 8' steps (4 step) w/rail, ladder, 8' diving board,pool crete bottom, rock bed under liner w/tube (for water removal, if needed) safety cover, overflow line, 500 wt light. All for aprox. $26,000.00.
    Can add SWG Aquarite for 2000.00 more. Offered us the Polaris 280 for $1400 extra, but I am thinking a Blue Diamond Robotic cleaner. I found a similar DIY kit online w/out robotic and SWG for about $8,000.00. We are not DIYers -when it comes to an inground pool. We have recieved the installed price from 2 recommended PC that will travel 75 miles to do this job. (PC's within $500.00 of each other)
    Concerns: pump size/filter,returns/ water turn over w/ 1 1/2" pipes. Will this pump take too long to cycle the 28,000 gals ? What about a larger 2 speed pump? More money, more efficient? What filter to match? Safety cover is $2,000 of the $26,000, and both it and SWG looks like it could be DIY job on our level. Both PC's say I need 2 jets in steps to aid cleaning at $350.00. Thanks for your input and suggestions -will be making decision soon. What a great site!

Default Re: Experts, I Need Help w/ First Pool Purchase

I am not a vinyl pool expert - but I am in the process of builsing a pool. Other things you need to consider are:
    • References - those who have used the same company and you should try to get references provided by the building department (from permits) - not from the pool builder
    • Any company you are considering - that they install vinyl pools all the time (not just a few a year)
    • If you have neighbors that you will need to use their land for access - get a use agreement signed and also get pictures pre-pool installation of EVERYTHING

As far as the size of the pump - with a sand filter you can get a pump that is TOO large and it will actually force dirt through the sand (bad). I'm sure an equipment expert can help you determine how long it would take to turn the water over once. You want to turn the water over twice in a day. Also - I didn't see anything about solar or water features - those would impact the pump size as well.

Good luck!
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Thanks for the response and the pointers. I read one of your threads about some difficult neighbors, I think? So, I spoke with mine, but I don't think I will need to get on their property for installation . Still need help- any pump experts out there? Also, the returns -are 2 enough? Certainly don't want any problems later on. Will add jets to steps, if I really need them to keep them clean. Will add water slide later, and may add fountain, later, too.

By the way, I have a new thread with a new question. If you have time, please respond to it. I need all the help I can get . It deals with contract clauses. Again, thanks for the input.
    Last edited by webfeet; 07-19-2006 at 03:50 PM.

GTakacs is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst GTakacs 0

I'm not familiar with vinyl pools, they are not popular around here. However I can tell you that both the Polaris and the SWG are way overpriced. You can get a Jandy SWG for $850 on-line and the Polaris 380 with booster pump is still under $800. I would pass on the safety cover also, I think a fence is a lot safer.

As for the builders, I would call several references and have a look at their pools. Ask about their post-purchase experience as well as their construction. Get references from several timeframes. Preferable some from 5-6+ years ago and some from last summer.

First time poster here as well and I see that you're located in Arkansas as am I. I haven't seen many Arkies on the board (if any) so it's nice to see someone. I had a question regarding the gallons on your pool. Did that estimation come from the pool builder or was it specific to that particular vinyl pool? The reason I ask is that with the dimensions you have given, I'm coming up with about 34,000 gallons. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe I've calculated my own wrong. I took the length x width x average depth x 7.5 (for the approximate # of gallons per cubic feet). This gave me 34,499 gallons. I posted the other day on another board regarding a similar question on piping and pump size as I hope to someday build a gunite/shotcrete pool with similar dimensions. That # of gallons jumped out at me since it was so different than what I was calculating. Vinyl pool and gunite pools may differ, though, in the way the volume is calculated. At any rate, just wanted to ask. Arkansas is apparently an unregulated state with pool builders so it definately pays to be informed. Keep us posted.

JBHogfan

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Why are you going with the super pump? The Northstar has more GPM and uses the same electricity. Also, I think you could turnover your pool in 8 hrs with a 3/4 HP Northstar pump. You only need 60 GPM and for the 3/4 HP Northstar that is 55-60 feet of head which is more than your likely to have. So for 50 feet of head, which is more likely, the pump will produce 70 GPM for a turnover of < 7 hours.

Also, I would go with at least 2" pipe if possible as this will increase the flow for a given pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks Mark for your comments. The super pump was what the PC recommended. I was wondering about 2 speed pumps. Today I was offered a Pentair Challenger and 600# sand filter for a similar pool set up- 28,000 gal 40'6" x20'6" . I don't know if this is a 2-speed, but I don't think so. To be honest I dont know anything about pumps, head or pipe sizes, or filters. Thats why I have asked for help. How much better flow with 2" pipe that with 1 1/2" pipe? What type and size filter go together? My fear is that I will get the wrong size pump, filter, or piping and be stuck with it for several years. I was thinking that the right 2-speed pump, although more costly, would save electricity. Your thoughts and any suggestions about them? ( Is a super pump a 2 speed? a northstar) I don't care what hp, (just want a good pump) as long as I have water turnover often and can add slide and fountain later if I want to. I don't understand head and all that technical stuff. I need specific advice, and I will certainly talk to PC about the things that you suggest. Thanks again

Hello!
    The pool you are looking at sounds like a pool we are looking at from http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com.
    Are you buying your kit on line?

~Hoffmans

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Webfeet...love the name. Sounds like about the right pump size and I would go for a 2 speed. I know a lot more now than I did 9 years ago when I got my inherited pool redone. Can't knock the Hayward superpump...9 seasons now. One thing to consider, enclose the equipment in a poolhouse or something if you can. Keeps the sun and elements like rain off the equipment. Maybe that's why my stuff is lasting so long.
    Al

y0manda is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst y0manda 0

I too am not familiar with vinyl liner pools although your pool is probably 2x the size as my gunite pool. I have four (4) 2HP northstar pumps for my pool. with a spa spillover, which has 9 returns in spa and 4 in pool. I run my pump twice a day for 3 hrs and has a dedicated vac line. just One pump filters both spa and pool into my DE hayward filter. I get a nice whirlpool effect that all gets sucked into my skimmer when filters running. Can't be more happier with my set up. BTW the three other pumps are for water features. So for me bigger is better
    Last edited by y0manda; 07-29-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Closed Thread