+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Salt in non-SWG pool result observations

Default Re: Salt in non-SWG pool result observations

First off, Thanks to all on this site. I haven't posted much, but have been lurking for a while now and have learned a ton and am keeping my pool in perfect shape using BBB.

I have followed this thread and the old one since the beginning and decided to take the plunge last week.
    I put in 3 bags and everything feels better in the pool. [27' AG ]

BUT, has anyone experienced a more slippery deck while using salt?
    We had a party this past weekend and the little kids kept falling down on the wet deck
    I'm just trying to determine if it could be the salt or something else that might have been spilled by the kids.

Thanks in advance
    John

I don't have a deck...but I did notice that the linear is much slicker. Especially where the salt was sitting while getting mixed up.

I'll be interested to hear what the others say as well...

take care,
    dan

I've had salt in my pool for quite a while now.

I've noticed no difference in the slippery factor in or out of the pool.

It is entirely possible it's my imagination.

I have a plain pressure treated deck witch I have not sealed or treated yet. I have not noticed it being slick but have noted a white powder on the deck that I am sure is salt. This may be the only problem with a higher salt level I put in the pool.

A quick update.

FC 6.0
    TC 6.0
    pH 7.4
    ALK 120-130
    CYA 35-40
    CH 300-310
    Salt 2100 (from pool store)
    Pool feels great with no changes in eye feel and the most important up the nose with water test has not changed. The demand for muratic acid has dropped but that may be due to dropping the ALK. The pool has needed more bleach but we have had some hot sunny days. I guess I am getting use the salt taste because I don’t really taste it any more. The pool is not retaining heat as I first thought in my initial post but has followed the curve I recorded in before salting. Things are still a go for the SWG next spring.
    Steve

I have been following this thread as of late and decided to give it a go. I like the idea of having soft water in a pool. So I bought four 40# bags of water softener salt and dumped them in. Well I must say that I am amazed at the difference in the water! It is unbelievably soft and makes my hair and skin soft and smooth as well. Everyone who gets in asks what I did to the water because it "feels" so good. Thanks Medvampire for your idea of adding salt to a non SWG pool!! I will never go back to a non-salted pool again!!

You are welcome but the salt was not my ideal. It has been around the forums for a long time. I followed the advice form the pros here and being some what of a geek I keep pretty detailed records of my pool. I am thinking I will get a SWG in the spring of next year and wanted to see if my family could stand salt in a pool. Do keep in mind that you are not softening the water but changing the way water interacts with the tissues of your body. So far I am really enjoying the “salty” pool with very little downsides.
    Steve

Question for you guys. If you're going to add the salt, why not go all the way and get the SWG ? I know there is a cost involved but it should pay for it's self in a few years with chlorine savings..
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

For me, its one one piece of equipment that could cost me a lot in trouble down the road. Its easy enough for me to go to my mom's every day or 3 and dump in the bleach. If I were going to build my own in IG pool someday, another thing I would NOT do is pour concrete around it. Eventually you're gonna have to dig up those lines and do work. Grass with some nice slate or river rocks around the perimeter is a hell of a lot more forgiving. Less is always more in my opinion . . .
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

I'm not sure how much salt you need to add to a 30k gallon inground concrete pool. I see lots of posts about adding 4 lbs or so - but in what proportion to the water?

+ Reply to Thread