+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frogs ..

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

Default Frogs ..

its weird the last few weeks 3-4, i have found 1 frog in the pool each week, usually in the skimmer next to the auto pool vacuum hose, just relaxing i chase him out and toss him behind my fence but they keep coming back? is there something i can add to the water to make it unpleasent to them so they wont come back? im thinking maybe raise my bleach and keep it high so they wont want to be near the water? ha weird issue thanks for the help

You'll just have dead frogs in the pool then. They are migrating and go to whatever water they find. I'm considering making a small "fence" out of hardware cloth to go under my permanent fence when it's installed this summer. Some days I have 6 or 8 in there. Usually during or after a heavy rain.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I gave up. Have a nice cool stream, 150' from the pool, and the D*** frogs wind up in the pool. Why any living thing would give up a great bug infested stream for a chlorinated pool is beyond me. But then again, frogs are at the low end of the food chain.
    Al

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

Thumbs up

well that makes total sense now that i think of it every time i have found a frog in my pool including this morning has been after rain. interesting though there are no streams or lakes near me. owell i usually just fish them out and toss them over my fence, but like you say if i raise my chlorine ill just have dead frogs

another thing i wonder how they get inside my fences, i have a 6foot wood fence with a 7foot concrete fence behind that, dont ask old owners anyway food for thought, ill deal with the frogs as long as my leaks and algae clear up LOL ... thanks every for the help

Talking Mutant frogs!

Last year we had frogs the size of dinner plates in our pool every day!! Not just one or two but half a dozen at a time!! They were the most hideous shade of neon green you have ever seen!! We called them mutants. My husband had to make me "wand" long enough to pull the skimmer box cover off so I wouldn't have to get to close to it. I opened it last year and one those **** things was in the skimmer and I thought I'd pee in my pants!!! Like you, there is a giant pond at my next door neighbors' house but for some reason the idiots would rather come up here to the chlorine.
    22,000 gallon vinyl IG located in the heart of North Carolina

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I have an 1100 gallon koi pond 4 feet from the ladder my frogs use to get out of my pool....but they prefer the pool and won't get into the pond. I gave up and just was happy with the fact that I don't have a bug/mosquito problem in the back yard.........

Janet

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Leave a small foam pool float like a flat kick board in the pool. The frogs will climb up on that and when its near the edge of the pool they can jump out. I rarely find them in the skimmer now that I do that.

kaybinster Guest

I get these every year when I first open the pool. I think some are actually in the pool from the winter. It is strange too, as someone else has, I have a stream about 50' from my pool yet the frogs are in the pool. What I find even stranger is they seem to thrive in the skimmers. I think the attraction is the skimmers usually have bugs in them so there is lots of food from the frogs. I always thought frogs were very sensitive to chemicals and died very easily which is why environmentalists are so concerned about them. But when I shock the pool the frogs could care less. Usually they leave after a few weeks.

The critter that really surprises me is the few crayfish we get every once in a while. Guess they walk their way there from the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by littleHeidi
    Last year we had frogs the size of dinner plates in our pool every day!! Not just one or two but half a dozen at a time!!
    Really? Just a couple days and you had a meal!

Wink Re: Frogs ..

Heh Heh !!
    22,000 gallon vinyl IG located in the heart of North Carolina

+ Reply to Thread