Closed Thread

Thread: Can anyone Help????? any insight is great!!!

cableguy1 is offline ** No working email address ** cableguy1 0

Default Can anyone Help????? any insight is great!!!

My name is Ryan and me and my wife(mommy4) have been reading and of course learning alot of great info posted here by youself and others and have never had any replies as to our questions regarding our situation. We inherited a pool (built in 1960?)(16x32 rectangle 3.5-8' wedge/saftey ledge sand bottom,metal and rusted walls)last year with the purchase of our home and it was covered with a wooden structure to withhold people walking over it. Basically the guy was old and had it closed up 8-10 years back. The liner must have ripped and he threw the old cast iron filter and wood and ceramic tile and debris of all sorts into it before he covered it. There was a sinkhole of sorts on the deep end one side wedge but not too deep and so i cleaned and sifted entire sand to about 6-12" deep all around. Raked and shaped it as though it would be ready to be measured for a liner. Have 2 distant pool guy friends that cant seem to find the time to help me measure as it is I dont want to pay 1000 for a liner and have it be wrong. My wife and I are big DIYers and we are determined to open pool even if it is septber 30th. We live outside Chicago in Northern Indiana. I aquired a bunch of eqipment from someone moving out of state and have a Tagelus 60/60D 325lb sand filter, magnetek 1.0 HP pump, Raypak 2100 millivolt plus heater and a polaris 360 with booster pump and a saftey cover leaf net and 2 stainless ladders for 500.00 bucks. I have dug down (old man had put ABS and skimmer work done at some point.) to where the ABS is and am redy to plumb in 2 returns and 1 skimmer(need lid and maybe other parts) that are right outside the conrete deckind about 24" deep and all three 1.5 lines are next to each other I want to 45 degree them and route them 10' to an eqipment pad along the back of my home. I have many questions and will not bombard you but any help would be GREATLY appreciated and I for one am willing to help anyone in need.
    * I need to know if i should use a compactor machine and then start to shape my bottom.
    *Should i use vermiculite(??how?)to add some strength to the bottom? I did take out alot of sand when cleaning but not below metal walls.
    *can I paint the rust on the walls with rust oleum to prevent any holes? ( i did powersand entire perimeter)
    *can i glue that Foam backing on?
    *the coping looks good but should i use liner lock to prevent any slippage?
    *can I raise the depth from 8' to 7'
    *how do i pressure test the existing but not complete ABS piping (returns and skimmer) before I start adding so i dont have to dig twice.
    *I am upgrading electric to a breaker system and the panel is on the same wall as where the eqip will be so do i just need 2 gfi circuits---1 for switch for pump and 1 for booster and other underground piping that will run lighting outside pool deck area.
    *do i need a dedicated spigot for water when needed?
    *can i pipe in waste from filter to a cleanout pipe that is attached to my sewer(right next to pad)
    * isnt the filter suppose to have Power supply cord?
    *is it easy to find Drain plug for filter. (lost it)
    *can polaris run off one of the returns or do i need to pipe in another dedicated 1.5 and drill into metal?

I probably have more but even if you answer one I thank you kindly!

I have enclosed some pics and hopefully it will help you see my dilemma.

procableguy@comcast.net or procableguy@msn.com

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...t=IM000760.jpg

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: Can anyone Help????? any insight is great!!!

Check your PMs - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Can anyone Help????? any insight is great!!!

07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
    Lifetime Member

waste 0
    Default Re: many issues....can u help,please?
    (* I had to delete your mesage to fit my response into the 5000 character limit- I hope you still have a copy)- Waste
    Ryan, welcome to the forum, sorry I missed your posts. Sounds like you've got quite a project on your hands I'll help in any way I can. (I'm going to answer the questions in order 1 - 13)
    1) The compactor will give you a better surface to work off of, for best results, moisten the sand (ie garden hose on 'mist') before and after running the compactor, it'll be better to do this just before dropping the liner.
    2) Vermiculite is what I've always used (3 of 4 pool co I've worked for), if you are good with a trowel and have a few (3 or so) people to help you, it's a much more stable floor (sand seems to want to all wash down to the deep end- as I'm sure you noticed) and won't channel like sand does - the washouts and shifting can put extra strain on the liner and shorten it's life expectancy. Something we've done a few times is to put 1.5 - 2" of vermiculite in the shallow end and first ~4' of the slope (the places that people will be walking) and leave the rest of the slope and deep end sand - this saves money on vermiculite and cement, but lets the area people walk in stay flat and secure.
    3) Sanding them was the best thing you could have done for the walls and YES spray paint or brush the rust spots with Rustolium to inhibit further degredation
    4) Wall foam will help protect the liner from any rough spots, 1/8" thickness should be enough - be sure to cut out around any fittings (returns and skimmer) or you'll have a lot of trouble puting on the faceplates.
    5) I only use liner lock in the corners and where the liner seems not to want to stay in the track - I'd imagine that 2' would be enough, cut it into 1" peices and put 3 - 4 in each corner and wherever else the liner tries to pop out (save the rest for future tucks)
    6) As long as you haven't ordered the liner, make whatever changes you'd like, now is the time to customize the bottom to be however you want it, about 1/2 of the 'rehabs' we do to pools end up raising the deep end from 8 to ~5'. You'll have to decide how you'll want to use the pool or if diving is something you must be able to do.
    7) To pressure test a line, you need to be able to completely close off both ends, have a means of applying air or water to the line and stopping the rise at will while maintaining the line's integrity and a gauge to see if the pressure is dropping. Poconos has posted the makings of his tester, and I'd be happy to tell you how to make one that can be hooked up to your garden hose, or you can devise your own.
    8) The 2 pumps should be on separate GFIs, you might want to have a 120v outlet near the system for any electrical needs you encounter (like a blower for winterizing). The power for the lights can go anywhere, some folks like to be able to turn on their lights from their porch, others just walk over to the filter pad to turn them on, etc.
    9) If it's convienient, a spigot at the pad has some use, but if the pad is within hose length of the house, it's not necessary (buying another length of hose will surely be cheeper than running a line out there and them having to winterize it every Fall)
    10) As long as the sewer co doesn't mind algae and chlorinated water in the sewer, it'd be the best option, put a union on the pipe so you can occasionally check for leaks out of the backwash easily.
    11) (I'll assume you mean filter pump) Having a 'twist-lock' power supply cord will enable you to take the pump inside for the winter, which will probably prolong it's life. It will also make any pump repairs a little easier (provided you have unions on the intake and output of the pump)
    12) For me, it's as easy as walking into the store in the morning ang grbbing one off the shelf - Seriously, is it the sand drain plug, which goes into the bottom of the filter body - or the water drain plug that screws into the sand drain plug? The one for the body might be a little harder to find if only because they made 2 different ones for that filter if it's one of them you need I can get you the part numbers (I think that the last 2 didgets of the respective plugs are 85 and 96 ( the first 5 or 6 numbers are the same), if it's the water plug Hayward SP 1600 V (W maybe?) will work or SP 1700 FG - there's also the identical plug for CL200, Any fairly well stocked pool store should have what you need.
    13) If you are going to use the booster pump, you'll want a dedicated line - however, as I recall from 10+ yrs ago, the 360 doesn't need the booster pump (which is why they came up with the 360, to retrofit into an existing pool without the dedicated line) You may be able to find out at Polaris' website (I'm assuming they have one)
    I hope this answers a few of your ?s If I can be of further help, just let me know. Yrs truly - Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Private Message: Re: many issues....can u help,please?

07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
    Lifetime Member

waste 0
    Default Re: many issues....can u help,please?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cableguy1
    hey thanks a million, and to think nobody would help was at little frustrating. Did u get any of the pics?
    I reposted the message I had sent you with a link to my photobucket album. I just am so greatfull that a forum like this is available to us non-pool savvvy people. With help like yours I now have hopes to become pretty informed I will surley keep you posted as to the sloooow progress and will be sure to let anybody who asks just how great you are!!!!
    If i could ask 1 more question and that is with the vermiculite bottom for the shallow end, is that a dry mix or do i mix ahd trowel. I think i read it is 50/50 mix of portland cement and ????....
    Again thanks and talk to ya soon

Vermiculite needs to be 'wet' when applied, by wet , I mean mixed with enough water to produce a small stream of water when you squeeze a handful. The ratio I've always used is 1 bag vermiculite (they can range from 16-20 lbs) to 1/2 bag portland cement (~42 lbs) - we just slice the bags in half. We add ~ 11 gal water to this to get the consistancy desired, the amount of water depends alot on the temp and humidity of the day and also on how quickly the material is being put down. If you need, I can tell you more specifically how to do it when you are ready.
    I'd like to post both my pm replies to you on the forum, but won't if you don't want me too, please let me know (there may be other people here who have the same questions and someone else here may have a better answer than one of the ones I gave or might catch something I've missed - always a possibility when going with only one source ;( )
    These last 2 posts are pms that Cableguy and I shared, he agreed that I could post them on the forum - Waste __________________
    Forward Message
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Closed Thread