+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Added 2# of Ascorbic Acid tonight

gerri is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gerri 0

Default Added 2# of Ascorbic Acid tonight

Added the 2# of AA and after an hour still had stains. Then it got dark so I couldn't see. I got in with a scrub brush and went around and around and around the edges scrubbing. My light is broken so I couldn't see if I was having any effect. Ph is 6.8 and I added sequesterant. I feel like crying.

Default Re: Added 2# of Ascorbic Acid tonight

You first need to drop the chlorine to 0, yes Zero, or all the AA will do is eat the chlorine and not the stains.

pH to 7.0 for gunite, 7.2 for vinyl/fiberglass.

You will need 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of AA per 10,000 gals depending on how bad the stains are.

You also need to add immediately 1 bottle Algaecide 60 not 50 or below (per 10,000 gals) , they normally contain metals to prevent an algae bloom.

Also add immediately three/four bottles of Metal-Out (per 10,000 gals) or stain treat to put the metals in suspension or the will redeposit on your walls.

After 24 to 48 hours drain the pool and acid wash the walls (1 part acid to 3 parts water), once the pool has drained near to the bottom abou 1 ft. of water left. This removes stubborn calcium and algae stains. Spray the walls with water 30 seconds after you have acid washed them.

NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID ONLY ACID TO THE WATER OR IT COULD EXPLODE AND BLIND YOU.

ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND GOOGLES WHEN DOING THIS AND HAVE SOMEONE ON HAND TO SPRAY YOU WITH WATER IF AN ACCIDENT HAPPENS

BE VERY CAREFUL TO ADD SODA ASH TO the little pool water (1 ft.) that is left before acid washing to NEUTRALIZE THE EFFECTS of the acid water or you could burn out the bottom of your pool.

2/4 medium-size saucepans full of soda ash should do it.

If you have a vinyl pool you may need to do exactly the same treatment using Oxalic acid as the stains are of a different nature.

If this does not work you may have tannin stains. Then raise the chlorine to 20 ppm (gunite pool), 15 ppm (vinyl pool), and maintain for 4 days this should help dissolve them.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-17-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks for the information.

My chlorine was at 0 before I started.

I have a fiberglass pool and unfortunately they say I void my warranty if I ever drain it so draining to acid wash doesn't seem to be an option.

I'm so disgusted and defeated. I know they are metal stains because rubbing with a vitamin C tab helps remove them, the problem is the staining is ALL OVER... so it would take a year to rub the whole pool with tablets.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

let it filter for about 24 to 48 hours and see if it lightens the stains....grab that bottle of POP (pool owner patience) and dose yourself liberally!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear,

oh my, I think I'm out of POP right now.. where can I order some and how long will it take to get here????

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens next. And of course I'll be back to whine some more.

Gerri

Today as far as I can tell, here is where I am with this saga:

Water is like milk but as far as I can tell probably 85% of the staining is gone or at least faded to a tolerable level. The stubborn stains just under the water line remain, maybe a little faded but for the most part unfazed.

Pump is still running.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Cloudy water is normal at this point....Just keep dosing yourself with POP until the stains are gone!

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

gerri, keep the filter running 24/7 - put a skimmer sock on the skimmer - it will help filter out the cloudiness. Keep the ph low, and let the continuing filtering water with all the sequesterant and aa do it's job. When your water is clear, and you still have some staining, you can take a very fine sand paper, like a pf 400 and sand the stains. The guys that came to re-gelcoat the top of my pool used this to clean the waterline. It won't hurt anymore than using a cleaner that has some abrasives in it. I tried it on a small stain that I had and it took it right off. Don't lose hope, I know it must be sooooo frustrating. If the water doesn't seem to be getting any clearer in a couple of days - turn the filter off at night and vacuum to waste any sediment that falls to the bottom. I'm rooting for you!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I am gaining hope! The sandpaper trick at the end may be just what my pool requires...

Thank you guys for all your help. I wish there was some way I could repay you for your time and patience with me.

I will have more questions when it's time to add chlorine. I am wondering how often I can go out and add about 2 cups of bleach. I know it will take a lot of bleach to get rid of the aa when it is time.

Thanks again!!!

The biggest repayment will be telling us that your pool is free of stains!....Hang in there....you're doing great!

+ Reply to Thread