+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pump or Electrical Problem?

Default Pool Pump or Electrical Problem?

For the last couple of days (with record high triple digit heat) I've gone outside to find that my pump has completely shut off. The full amount of water is still in the basket and when I switch the breaker box -- (may take more than 1 X and a little wait) it comes back on and is right where is should be.

Is this a pump problem? Or an electrical problem? Or is it just that something is throwing the breaker because it is so hot? Although the switches in the breaker box for the pool are still in the ON position when this happens. So I manually flip the switch and if it doesn't come on I wait a bit reflip the switches and so far it will finally it comes on.

What's your take on this? I really don't want to have to call the pool place and the electrical place -- and have a service charge for BOTH! And maybe it's just because it's so darn HOT!

Feedback please! Thanks in advance! You guys/gals are GREAT!
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

FOXX IG Vinyl Pool 18 X 36 (installed 2001)
    Pool Volume: 20,655 gallons -- Laars Lite 2 gas heater
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter (S-244T) -- Hayward 1.5 HP Pump

God gave you 86,400 seconds today -- have you used ONE to say THANK YOU?

Default Re: Pool Pump or Electrical Problem?

Not sure I fully am understanding if the breaker is triping or not from how you describe it. Assuming the breaker has not triped it sounds like the thermal overload protector in the motor is triping and when you take power off it resets. This could be due to inadequate cooling. Do you have a good airflow to the motor, or are the openings blocked?

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Depending on which "Breaker" you mean:

1. There is the ACTUAL breaker at the panel in your house.
    If this is the case, your pump is overloading the circuit, which it probably should not be doing if it's rated for that circuit - suspect problem - pump is requiring too much power to start.

2. There is the GFCI which is an outlet (plug) with a couple of small buttons - test and reset between the outlets.
    If this is the case, it can be one of two things - an actual ground fault, but every time you turn the pump on, it would immediately blow the GFCI if this is the problem.
    Number 2 problem - the GFCI is dying - a common issue, replace GFCI outlet and things should be OK. Also, GFCI's can act up with high humidity but this is also a sign of it failing.

3. Sometimes there is a breaker on the pump, if this si the problem, then it is internal to the pump and your pump is at fault.

Thanks for your help. (Colorcloths & Matt4X4) I'll try to answer these questions better so you can help me better. I KNOW NOTHING about pool equipment!!! And if I do have to have it worked on, I WILL have to call the pool place!

(Wasn't sure how to use QUOTE for two posts!) Here's cleanclothes:

Not sure I fully am understanding if the breaker is triping or not from how you describe it. Assuming the breaker has not triped it sounds like the thermal overload protector in the motor is triping and when you take power off it resets. This could be due to inadequate cooling. Do you have a good airflow to the motor, or are the openings blocked?

Here's Matt4X4:

Depending on which "Breaker" you mean:

1. There is the ACTUAL breaker at the panel in your house.
    If this is the case, your pump is overloading the circuit, which it probably should not be doing if it's rated for that circuit - suspect problem - pump is requiring too much power to start.

2. There is the GFCI which is an outlet (plug) with a couple of small buttons - test and reset between the outlets.
    If this is the case, it can be one of two things - an actual ground fault, but every time you turn the pump on, it would immediately blow the GFCI if this is the problem.
    Number 2 problem - the GFCI is dying - a common issue, replace GFCI outlet and things should be OK. Also, GFCI's can act up with high humidity but this is also a sign of it failing.

3. Sometimes there is a breaker on the pump, if this si the problem, then it is internal to the pump and your pump is at fault.

Answers to cleanclothes:

I have a breaker box in my garage that goes to all my HOUSE stuff.

There is another box OUTSIDE by the PUMP/POOL equipment that is just for that stuff. The switches in the breaker are still in the ON position when this happens.

YES, I believe I have good airflow to the motor. I do not know what a thermal overload protector is!

Answers to matt4X4:

#1 - Not sure -- but think I answered in my response to cleanclothes. I have a separate OUTSIDE breaker box for pool stuff. Is this what you're asking me?

#2 - If this is GFCI problem? (NOT SURE) WHO do I contact to work on that? electrician? pool person? both?

#3 - I don't know about a breaker on the pump.

The pump is making more noise today than it used to. The pump ran all night last night. Today it stopped about 3 times. I flipped the switches on the OUTSIDE pool breaker to OFF and turned the switch to the pump off. I waited about 5 min and flipped the breaker switches and the pump switch and it came back on.

I run the pump 24/7 (well - except when this is happening!) I will also talk to the pool store owner tomorrow.

The pump is the original pump that was installed when we had the pool put in. How long are pumps supposed to last?

I hope I explained this better! I've at least learned that a GFCI is an outlet (plug) - LOL!

Thanks again VERY VERY much! I hope I can help people on this forum and repay back all this kindness -- but I won't be doing it in the EQUIPMENT section!
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

From the sounds of it, you need to get a new pump possibly. The pump is noisy, and stops working without tripping the breaker or the ground fault outlet. I can assume that the pump is directly wired into the fuse panel. So it would be something directly related to the pump if resetting the breaker gets it to kick over and work again, even for a short time.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Sounds like the pump is tripping (internal automatically resetting breaker, probably thermally controlled - sounds like it get reset when the pump has the power disconnected - As cleanclothes said)
    If the pump is getting noisier every couple of days, it means the bearings are wearing out, this will cause excess heat, possibly triggering the thermal overlaod breaker.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to my pool store shortly -- doesn't open until 10. And ask about a new pump and installation. I have a Hawyard Super II pump. Just wondering if any of you had some "guestimates" on what this might cost? Of course, I'll have to ask how much labor will be?

Thanks for all your help!
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

Well, at 10:00 I called the pool place. At 10:30 there were at my house to check the pump! Good service I'd say! (I've been a good customer.) Looks like the pump was so overheated that it MELTED the fan! He had to take it somewhere to have it checked out to see if this will be a repair or replacement issue. Either side of the coin for that for me is $$$ He told me I could get some liquid chlorine because it might be FRIDAY before they can get it back or another one on!
    Any suggestions while my pool lies in WAIT?

Thanks for all your help!

Blessings,
    Debbie
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

Replacement motors are so inexpensive that you'd be better just having him change out the motor and pump seal. And yes, add chlorine until they can get your pump back in.
    You shouldn't need a complete new pump either.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Replacement motors are so inexpensive that you'd be better just having him change out the motor and pump seal. And yes, add chlorine until they can get your pump back in.
    You shouldn't need a complete new pump either.
    I had to have a motor/shaft. It's all fixed now! Yeah ... now on to FIX my water!

Thanks for your support and help -- everyone!
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

+ Reply to Thread