Closed Thread

Thread: Sagging liner

Default Sagging liner

We have an in-ground pool with a vinyl liner. After opening the pool, we've noticed that a few sections of liner are sagging away from the wall. I've read elsewhere that a good method to reseat the liner are to heat it with either hot water or a blow dryer, followed by pulling up the liner and pushing it into place. the site also went on to try to recommend something called linerlock.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? Have you had success in using the described (dangerous) methods?

Any advice or links would be helpful!

Default Re: Sagging liner

I had it last year - albeit it was a small section. But the hot water and tugging method worked great anmd was easy. And BTW it was hot water from the tap, not boiling!! I did it myself - no help from husband.
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

Excellent! Thank you so much Kristen! I will try it over the next few days.

I was just doing that out in our pool, it helped to have 100 degree temps here in NJ today and that made it so much easier than it had been for the past week and a half. I would definately try to warm it up with either hot water or wait for a really hot day and it will be that much easier.
    17,000 gallon vinyl in ground pool
    Hayward DE2420 Filter
    Hayward 325,000 btu natural gas heater

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Exclamation Re: Sagging liner

E_l, did you have someone install the liner for you? If so, any liner tucks should be their problem to fix (unless your pool is older and they won't come back to do it). What the others have posted here is fine advice, however be careful! IT IS POSSIBLE TO POKE YOUR FINGER THROUGH A HEATED LINER!! If it won't go easy with some heat, STOP! There are tricks/ techniques that can get the liner back into it's bead, if you need them simply ask (I couldn't possibly type them out in the space of a reasonably short post), and we'll get together and I'll fill you in on what and how to do it. While I'm at it, water from the kitchen sink is fine but even a hair dryer can burn a hole through the liner - have patience and don't wreck the liner, there are few 'tucks' I've 'needed' the hot water or hair drier for, and that's only been because the air temp was < 60 or the liner was ~ 10 yrs old, however, I frequently use both when it makes the job easier.
    One method of heating the liner that hasn't been mentioned (probably because I'm the only one I know who uses it) is to rapidly rub a rag across the area in question, ie generate friction, no need to run an extention cord or haul a bucket from the kitchen
    I just want to make sure you don't damage the liner. - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Liner in my pool has a few spots that come loose every year. I've always put it back by hand except for one year in the spring when it was cool. Used a hair dryer with a GFI cord plugged into a GFI outlet. Worked with my hands in the heat... if my hands got too warm then the liner was probably getting too warm. Would also like some feedback on liner lock from others. I've used pieces in the past to address trouble spots but the pieces pop out. Liner continues to pop out all year also in new spots. I have an old (20 yr+-) Buster Crabbe IG with polymer walls and they just dont hold the bead. This year I'm getting a whole roll and locking the whole perimeter. If that doesn't work I may have to install new aftermarket coping and reset the liner.
    24,000 gal IG vinyl / 1.5 HP / sand filter

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

If too much of it pulls out or it sinks too deep to get back up manually or the heat/stretch method is no longer going to work because of all of the above, you do what's called "floating the liner" - essentially you start pumping your water behind the liner, this will make it float up some, this will allow for it to lift up with ease, then you can reseat it in the bead - preferrably using some liner lock to help keep it there longer, once you have almost all of it reseated, you stick your garden hose/pump behind the liner to pump the water you had put there back into the pool and once that's done you finish with the last little piece of liner that still needs to go back on.

Closed Thread