+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leaky nuts.....

Default leaky nuts.....

Does anyone happen to know if I can expect some plumbing leaks with my Intex pool (new)?

The nuts on both input and output are dripping intermittant drips. The threads were coated with petroleum jelly and hand-tightened as per instructions...can I use some plumber's tape? Are these plastic nuts notorious leakers? Next year I think I'll use a bead of silicon.

Should I call to gripe and see if they'll replace them, or is this just a problem I can pretty much expect with this pool, even with replacements?

Amy

Default Re: leaky nuts.....

Hi, I always give those big nuts another half turn with a pipe wrench. That should stop a small drip.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

I tried taking it apart and re-tightening it several times, the thing is that as soon as it gets to the point of being tight enough the threads pop the nut off and then water starts gushing out, so the whole lining up the threads and re-screwing has to start all over. As tight as the nut will hold w/o popping off thread still lets intermittant drops out.

Can't get through with their 800 # - it's Monday so I'm sure they have a weekend's worth of disasters to hear about, that and they probably have 2 people taking calls

Amy

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I think you have to get new clamps, this popping you're decribing is relatively common on those clamps, unfortunately, once it pops just once, you can kiss that clamp goodbye since the angled slits in the band will be bent now and weakened.
    If you purchase the most expensive ones you can find, they can take more torque before popping. I'm not one to always buy the most expensive, but have found that when it comes to those clamps, more expensive is actually better.

+ Reply to Thread