+ Reply to Thread

Thread: laundry detergent in my pool....Whoops

Hybrid View

Angry laundry detergent in my pool....Whoops

I asked my wife to pickup 10 pounds of baking soda for our pool and told her to check the laundry detergent area for big bags or boxes. Without reading the boxes she brought I proceeded to dump 10 pounds of Arm & Hammer detergent in our 24 feet above ground pool . What is that going to be the long-term negative effects of this? The PH is off the scale at 8.2+ and the aqua chem. Site says that the total alkalinity is to high also and that the calcium hardness is to low.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: laundry detergent in my pool....Whoops

Unca, I don't really know, but can you drain and refill ? If not mahaps someone else here knows of a solution
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

please help me someone . there must be someone with experience with a problem like this through accident or via pranksters. I put some ph down in tonight but it just looked a bit foamier (if thats a word). I will retest in the morning and also take a sample to my pool shop. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Uncle Jabba

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Besides the detergents you have added a lot of sodium carbonate (pH increaser) to the pool with the addition of the laundry detergent. Your TA and pH will be the easy fix. The foaming from the detergent won't be. I would recommend draining the water and refilling. You might want to try a defoamer (simethicone) but I don't know how well that will work or what the long range effects will be.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Drain it and refill. That's what I would do.

duraleigh Guest

Drain it.

+ Reply to Thread