+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Household bleach to shock?

Cool Household bleach to shock?

Can I use sodium hypochlorite bleach in my pool in combination with a slow dissolving tri-chlor tab to maintain chlorine level? Or what is the best way to maintain a constant chlorine level?

CToon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst CToon 0

Default Re: Household bleach to shock?

You can use bleach and the pucks at the same time , you just cannot mix them together (ie putting bleach thru the feeder is a no no).

trichlor puts CYA into the pool and tends to lower ph. As long as you keep those under control , theres no problem using it along with bleach.

The best way to maintain a constant chlorine level (along with everything else ) comes down to regular testing. Staying on top of the conditions is the key

Additionally - keep an eye on the CYA level. I was using both pucks and bleach and ended up w/ a CYA over 120ppm. Had to drain 3/4 and refill only to end up w/ a CYA of 70. It's better than 120, but still requires alot of bleach to keep it clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsnyder
    Can I use sodium hypochlorite bleach in my pool in combination with a slow dissolving tri-chlor tab to maintain chlorine level? Or what is the best way to maintain a constant chlorine level?
    Hey Rsnyder, welcome to the forum.

Asking the question in your thread title -here- is like asking if air is okay to breath.

Take a tour through all the -sticky- posts at the top of each forum, and also go to the main site www.poolsolutions.com (linked in the big graphic at the top of the page) to read about the forum sponser's take on bleach. He's, um, a fan.

You can use bleach and the tri-chlor pucks together (but separately) but there is a very active discussion taking place about the benefits and downside of the stabilizer (cyanuric acid - CYA) that comes with the tablets.

Once you get your CYA to a level you are comfortable with (most people here agree that level to be between 20 - 60ppm), you can stop using the tri-chlor pucks altogether, and only use bleach to maintain your chlorine levels.

+ Reply to Thread